New to SCA

  • holycelticnation
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006
      Looks like a pretty active list and I am sure this will be the place
      for me. A friend of mine just got back from Pennsic and told me this
      was a must for me. I have been studying Celtic Culture (post
      Christian) for about 10 years and have been studying Celtic Martial
      Arts for about 3. I am a big stickler for historical authenticity.

      My first newbe questions are:

      1. Is there any unarmed combat training / seminars in SCA /
      Pennsic?
      2. Anyone from Louisiana?
      Thanks for the group and I am looking forward to my involvement here.

      Scotty
    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006
        > My first newbe questions are:
        >
        > 1. Is there any unarmed combat training / seminars in SCA /
        > Pennsic?
        > 2. Anyone from Louisiana?
        > Thanks for the group and I am looking forward to my involvement here.
        >
        > Scotty

        It's nice to see someone who's new to us and already wanting to be as
        authentic as possible. Most people take a while to get to that point.
        Welcome!

        I'm sure there will be some folks from your area who'll jump in on
        this discussion. While I know lots of folks who do armored combat,
        I've never seen unarmed (thought that doesn't mean it's not out
        there). Most kingdoms have some sort of university or schola system.
        Your best bet would be to check out your kingdom website and look
        through the officers listing. If nothing like that is listed, contact
        the kingdom arts & sciences minister--they should have that information.

        As for Pennsic, you can google it and see a lot of things. Pennsic is
        very much what you make of it. You will see the best and the worst
        the SCA has to offer (which is to be expected when you bring 11,000
        people together). There will be those who looked like they stepped
        out of a manuscript illumination and those who have seen one too many
        "Conan" movie (though my personal favorite bad garb moment this year
        was the flourescent yellow and orange Elizabethan with the ying/yang
        applique on the back--YIKES!).

        There is much to do and see. A university runs for the two weeks and
        there are some fantastically knowledgeable people teaching classes.
        If you go to pennsicwar.org, you can click on the A&S link and pull up
        Pennsic University. They still have the class list up, which should
        give you an idea of what's there. I have watched folks doing
        handcrafts with period tools and materials. I have eaten bread baked
        in a clay oven in someone's camp (they build a new one every year!).
        I play more music in that week than I get to do in a month back home.
        It's also some of the best shopping for SCAdians.

        I would, however, definitely get my feet wet in the SCA before next
        year's Pennsic if you plan to attend. It can be a little overwhelming
        otherwise.

        Isabeau
      • Andrea Hughett
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
          --- holycelticnation <scottyweeks@...> wrote:

          I have been studying Celtic
          > Culture (post
          > Christian)

          I'm pretty sure that's post period...when exactly did
          the Celtic Culture cease to be Christian??

          Andrea of Anglespur
          kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
          So many books, so little time!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • NINacide@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
            after you find out after they ceased to be christian (j/k, I know what they
            meant and what they wrote are two entirely different things), would you mind
            throwing out some sources on pre-christian europe. That's my area of
            interest because I see christianity as a middle eastern culture and European culture
            being dominated by it. It would be interesting to know what some people
            believed pre-christian europe was like (in spite of history being full of gross
            falacies and misinterpretations and distortions of fact with the predjudices
            of the culture of the dominant historians).

            Mikhil

          • holycelticnation
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
              We now know that Caesars "Battle of Gaul" is not a reliable source
              unto itself, but only a snap shot by some one hell bent on destroying
              the Celtic Culture. I think we learn more about the culture from the
              Early Church than any other time. I think they were as passionate
              about the new faith as they were their old faith. Seeing the
              dedication and sacrifice they made at places like Skellig Michael give
              you just an idea of just how committed they were in life in general.
              They viewed life as a whole, not as some sort of compartmentalized
              existence. Their work, play, and life were one.

              I could babble for ever, but I fear this may be a bit off topic for
              this group. Anyone else interested, I would love to chat off list or
              on another group I moderate.

              Aedan
              Aka Scotty
            • Andrea Hughett
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
                --- NINacide@... wrote:

                > after you find out after they ceased to be christian
                > (j/k, I know what they
                > meant and what they wrote are two entirely different
                > things), would you mind
                > throwing out some sources on pre-christian europe.

                Homer, Ovid, Cicero, Virgil, Herodotus, Caesar, Ptolemy....

                Andrea of Anglespur
                kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                So many books, so little time!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Justin
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
                  1. Is there any unarmed combat training / seminars in SCA /
                  Pennsic?

                  Yes. But there isn't any sort of organized and structured system for it. The
                  fighters are rattan and rapier for thr most part.

                  2. Anyone from Louisiana?
                  Thanks for the group and I am looking forward to my involvement here.

                  I am originally frmo New Orleans. Do you want someone currently in
                  Louisiana? If so, where?

                  -J

                • holycelticnation
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006
                    -J,

                    I was in St. Bernard, but now live in Lafayette. I have a great Shire
                    here in town and will be attending the Crown List event in two weeks.

                    I am looking forward to seeing the interest in the grappling arts of
                    the Middle Ages, because unlike most of the events and style, it is
                    still an active art still practiced today.

                    Scotty
                  • Justin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006

                      > I was in St. Bernard, but now live in Lafayette. I have a great Shire
                      > here in town and will be attending the Crown List event in two weeks.
                      >
                      > I am looking forward to seeing the interest in the grappling arts of
                      > the Middle Ages, because unlike most of the events and style, it is
                      > still an active art still practiced today.

                      Say hi to Big John for me!

                      I've seen groups that parallel the SCA with renactment but take a more
                      martial arts approach to fighting, but I don't know of any in Louisana. U
                      know of one that is in Dallas and Chicago though... (not that it helps)

                      http://www.scholasaintgeorge.org/

                      -Justin

                      --
                      "Badly!"