Discovery Days 2006 demo

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2006
      I just wanted to share some pictures with everyone of a demonstration
      that was held at the 'Discovery Days 2006' festival. We (the SCA,
      under the organization of the Canton of Sudentorre) were the
      'Elizabethan/Jacobean Era England' display, going beyond the usual SCA
      timeline and bringing in a lot of early 17th century music, dance,
      etc. There were other groups there: The Patowemac group,
      Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, an American Revolutionary War camp, an
      American Civil War camp, and a Colonial era group. I was really proud
      of how the SCA was able to concentrate on the timeframe and, imho, did
      a good job with our demonstration. We had various period-appropriate
      games, a barber's setup, and various other activities going on. Of
      course, the 90 degree weather was probably not so period-appropriate
      (then again, many of the Jamestown settlers had problems with the heat
      and humidity, apparently).

      Anyway, here are the pictures:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/sets/72157594244989651/

      Enjoy!

      Ii (aka Edward "E." Godric Logan)
    • Pete McKee
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua
        B.)" <logan@...> wrote:

        > We (the SCA, under the organization of the Canton of Sudentorre)
        were the 'Elizabethan/Jacobean Era England' display, going beyond
        the usual SCA timeline and bringing in a lot of early 17th century
        music, dance, etc. We had various period-appropriate games, a
        barber's setup, and various other activities going on.

        Your group and your set up looks great there. Forgive my ignorance
        of SCA geography, but where is Sudentorre? The Godspeed is on an
        east coast voyage. At which port was this event? Is your group
        interested in participating in other early 17th century Virginia
        events? There will be a long string of them leading up to the
        commemoration of the founding of Jamestown in 1607. As you know,
        from your participation in this one, it has already started. May of
        2007 will be a whirlwind of activity up and down the James River.

        B.)" <logan@...> wrote:

        > Of course, the 90 degree weather was probably not so period-
        appropriate (then again, many of the Jamestown settlers had problems
        with the heat and humidity, apparently).

        > Ii (aka Edward "E." Godric Logan)

        Take an Englishman from cold, damp England, stick him in the bottom
        of a little wooden ship for 6 to 8 weeks (If all goes well. The
        first Jamestown settlers spent about 4 1/2 months at sea.). Then,
        put him to work in hot, damp Virginia, and you have some ingredients
        for the Starving Time of 1609.

        Take care,
        Pete McKee
      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21, 2006
          On 8/21/06, Pete McKee <p_mckee3@...> wrote:

          > > We (the SCA, under the organization of the Canton of Sudentorre)
          > were the 'Elizabethan/Jacobean Era England' display, going beyond
          > the usual SCA timeline and bringing in a lot of early 17th century
          > music, dance, etc. We had various period-appropriate games, a
          > barber's setup, and various other activities going on.
          > >

          > Your group and your set up looks great there. Forgive my ignorance
          > of SCA geography, but where is Sudentorre? The Godspeed is on an
          > east coast voyage. At which port was this event? Is your group
          > interested in participating in other early 17th century Virginia
          > events? There will be a long string of them leading up to the
          > commemoration of the founding of Jamestown in 1607. As you know,
          > from your participation in this one, it has already started. May of
          > 2007 will be a whirlwind of activity up and down the James River.

          This was at Aquia Landing, in Stafford, VA. The group is centered in
          the Stafford/Fredricksburg area, and is part of a larger, baronial
          group (the Barony of Stierbach) that encompasses a much larger area,
          including Prince William and Loudoun counties.

          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua
          > B.)" <logan@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Of course, the 90 degree weather was probably not so period-
          > appropriate (then again, many of the Jamestown settlers had problems
          > with the heat and humidity, apparently).
          >
          > > Ii (aka Edward "E." Godric Logan)
          > >

          > Take an Englishman from cold, damp England, stick him in the bottom
          > of a little wooden ship for 6 to 8 weeks (If all goes well. The
          > first Jamestown settlers spent about 4 1/2 months at sea.). Then,
          > put him to work in hot, damp Virginia, and you have some ingredients
          > for the Starving Time of 1609.

          Most definitely. One of the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation historians
          there related an incident where a Spanish spy was disbelieved by his
          own government when he told them that the English were running around
          in nothing but their shifts! The Spanish just couldn't believe it.

          -E.