Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Stalled out

  • Bookwyrm
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 6, 2006
      On 06/08/06, Susan B. Farmer <sfarmer@...> wrote:
      > And [being shown "good" examples that are so far above one's
      > own skill level that one can't IMAGINE ever managing them] just
      > might have the opposite effect -- of intimidating them to the point
      > where they won't even try -- because they're not that good.

      That was my feeling.

      Heck, that's almost where I -am-. I know what I need to do in order
      to meet my personal standards, but am not capable of meeting them at
      this time . . . so my SCA participation is entirely virtual until I
      can get at least a few decent outfits for day events. And I spend
      hours agonizing over minor details that nobody else would even notice,
      trying to analyze details of pictures that the artist never intended
      as the subject . . . because I don't want to be one of the ones who
      does things wrong.

      Still, there are a lot of things where I am not good enough to do them
      myself, not equipped to try to do them myself, and not rich enough to
      pay somebody else to do them. Currently, I can obsess about stuff
      that I do have something approaching the ability to do, and so not
      worry about details like triangular stools or six-legged tables.

      Certainly, one can find things that are similar to what one might have
      found in Roman times . . . but for some people, six hundred years too
      early is as bad as six hundred years too late. Just because it's
      authentic for some time during the SCA's period does not mean it is
      authentic for any particular participant.

      --
      Bookwyrm, who set her period according to the existence of spectacle
      frames, and Empath, whose collar is a much more affordable project
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 7, 2006
        At 4:50 AM -0700 07/08/06, Geoffrey Schemel wrote:
        >If you can manage a small drill you can manage a jig saw which is
        >the only other tool you'd need to make a 6 board chest, 4 board
        >benches, and a table A circular saw would be a nice to have that
        >allow you to make the larger cuts faster; but a jig will get you
        >there.

        Thanks for the helpful hints :-)

        I used to live with a custom cabinetmaker. He had a beautiful old
        mitre box for making those lovely cuts that make parts fit together
        so nicely.

        I'll never be able to do what he did, but i do think i could handle a jig saw.

        >If you want, I'm working on some plans that I'd be happy to pass
        >along to you if you ever care to give it a try.

        I would appreciate it. Note that i cannot manage anything heavy, as i
        have some physical issues, but a moderate sized box i can probably
        do... and i'd like to learn to do inlay and veneer to spiff up the
        top surface.
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita