Please, don't become "That Guy," was Re: hello I need help

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Megan & Dave" <danhorn3@...> wrote:

      > The original post was ONE PARAGRAPH. And seeing as it is now 2
      weeks later,
      > leaving ONE PARAGRAPH is not an unreasonable amount to leave.

      Most people are very good about complying with the courtesies expected
      of members of this list and on behalf of the other moderators and
      myself, thank you for your courtesy to the members of Authentic SCA.

      Every once and awhile, though, we get a member who needs to be "house
      trained," for lack of a better term. As a moderator, it is no treat to
      have to write the same reminders over and over and over again to the
      same person, only to receive the answer, "Oh, sorry, I forgot." Over
      and over and over again. Imagine having to wade through your in-box
      thinking, "Oh, no, not THAT guy again."

      In at least one instance, the moderators had to take the step of
      rejecting every post an individual submitted that did not contain a
      signature. This unfortunate measure did achieve the desired effect and
      the individual has gotten very good about signing posts to the list
      with only the occasional lapse at this time.

      As has been previously and repeatedly stated on this list, your
      moderators work very hard to ensure that this is a nice place to
      visit. That means treating everyone fairly and equally. If I have to
      edit and write a "Please do not top post" reminder for 98% of the
      people on moderated status, it's really not fair to let 2% get away
      with it, regardless of content. If I have to pick on them, I have to
      pick on you. It's not personal. It doesn't even become personal if a
      member reaches "That Guy" status. It just means "That Guy" may never
      be let off moderated status.

      My thanks again to the 1328 members of the list for your attention.

      Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom