Re: Stalled out -- LONGish

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 3, 2006
      What they all said :-)

      Boy, howdy, do I know the feeling! Hadn't played in 10-15 years, and
      either I'm hanging out with a different bunch of people, or the
      standards have *really* been raised since then... I keep thinking
      *Why* am I doing this? Is it fun? Will it improve the world?"

      And then I get my hands on some more linen, and I think
      "Weeeeellllll,let me just get this one thing made, and we'll look at
      this again." :-)

      I've also changed from "generic" early 15th C European to very
      strictly early Elizabethan, so that's part of it.

      Lord Folo has it right when he says authenticity is a continuum.
      However, (IMHO) it's like that thing we learned in math class -- you
      get half way there, and then half way of what's left, and then half
      way of what's left, and then ... but you never *arrive*.

      Details --

      Yes on the head coverings -- even if you just go to Wally World and
      buy some flour sack towels for veils. They also make handy napkins to
      cover your good garb until you master the rolled hem.

      Use anything but plastic bags and tubs for storage -- your local craft
      store will have sales on canvas bags with belting handles --
      authentic, no. Better than rustly plastic bags from Wally World -- you
      betcha! The craft stores also have sales on cotton canvas from which
      you can make your own carryalls. Again, not a Mary-Rose museum replica
      chest, but better than plastic.

      I won't bore all the non-Elizabethan folks here with the
      persona-specific details -- just don't let the perfect be the enemy of
      the good. Make a move, do something -- you won't ever get even
      half-way there if you don't start

      (or so I keep telling myself :-)

      Gillian Durham
    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 7, 2006
        At 4:50 AM -0700 07/08/06, Geoffrey Schemel wrote:
        >If you can manage a small drill you can manage a jig saw which is
        >the only other tool you'd need to make a 6 board chest, 4 board
        >benches, and a table A circular saw would be a nice to have that
        >allow you to make the larger cuts faster; but a jig will get you
        >there.

        Thanks for the helpful hints :-)

        I used to live with a custom cabinetmaker. He had a beautiful old
        mitre box for making those lovely cuts that make parts fit together
        so nicely.

        I'll never be able to do what he did, but i do think i could handle a jig saw.

        >If you want, I'm working on some plans that I'd be happy to pass
        >along to you if you ever care to give it a try.

        I would appreciate it. Note that i cannot manage anything heavy, as i
        have some physical issues, but a moderate sized box i can probably
        do... and i'd like to learn to do inlay and veneer to spiff up the
        top surface.
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita