Re: [Authentic_SCA] Stalled out

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 3, 2006
      At 1:15 PM -0700 03/08/06, Chris Laning wrote:
      (SNIP - Quite a few good and useful suggestions)

      >- Get a good-sized basket so you don't have to carry stuff around at
      >events in plastic bags.

      Or find out how people would have carried things in the culture of
      your persona. For most of the cultures i "play" in, i have yet to see
      baskets. And women didn't wear belts, so no belt pouches. Rather,
      things were tied up an a square of cloth - so all those baskets i
      bought while working as an actor in Ren Fairs are no longer useful.

      Also, as a "cheat" to avoid plastic bags, but when i want to know
      what's in a bag without opening it, i made sacks of varying sizes of
      tulle, net, and skrim (depending on the fineness of what i want to
      carry inside). At Ren Fairs i carried these around in a basket - i
      could tell at glance which had the embroidery, which had the sewing
      supplies, etc. These are not "period" as far as i can tell, but they
      are less modern than baggies.

      Yes, i know this is the Authentic list and this isn't purely
      authentic, as far as i can tell. But does move one away from the
      screamingly modern and toward more historical solutions - since cloth
      bags of various shapes are "period".

      >- Find out how your persona would bow to royalty, and practice. (The
      >bent-over-at-the-waist thing is by no means universal.)

      And that little dipping curtsey that i see women do is so very very
      Victorian/19th century, and so very not pre-17th C.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 7, 2006
        At 4:50 AM -0700 07/08/06, Geoffrey Schemel wrote:
        >If you can manage a small drill you can manage a jig saw which is
        >the only other tool you'd need to make a 6 board chest, 4 board
        >benches, and a table A circular saw would be a nice to have that
        >allow you to make the larger cuts faster; but a jig will get you
        >there.

        Thanks for the helpful hints :-)

        I used to live with a custom cabinetmaker. He had a beautiful old
        mitre box for making those lovely cuts that make parts fit together
        so nicely.

        I'll never be able to do what he did, but i do think i could handle a jig saw.

        >If you want, I'm working on some plans that I'd be happy to pass
        >along to you if you ever care to give it a try.

        I would appreciate it. Note that i cannot manage anything heavy, as i
        have some physical issues, but a moderate sized box i can probably
        do... and i'd like to learn to do inlay and veneer to spiff up the
        top surface.