RE: [ Stalled out

  • Catelli, Ann
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
      What _are_ your long-term goals?
      Do you want personally to have the stepped-from-a-painting look?
      Or do you wish the house or tent you just left to be Right?
      Or the food to be delicious and authentic?

      Obviously, that's where your heart is, and where you're likely to be more informed and more authentic.

      I'm one of the garb geeks, so I'll speak to clothes:

      For personal wear authenticity, cover your hair. This is fairly wide spread both in time & place, from Ancient Rome on up, for men & women, for many countries.
      If you are from one of the rare areas which Covered was not strongly encouraged, then your hair should be Dressed, not just hanging down.

      When I wear one of my headscarves, my 'medieval' switch is thrown; when I see others with their heads decently covered (medieval switch again) I feel closer to medieval times.
      Plus all the usual good reasons--good place to keep the ice cubes for cooling, keeps hair cleaner, keeps the straw hat from picking your head to death, better safety around fires, etc.

      For a first step, I like the cotton scarves from Dharma Trading, which have hems hand-rolled in India.
      For a second step, about a yard square of fine linen makes a very useful sized scarf, which you may hem yourself with your favorite stitch.

      Ann in CT

      > everything I want to do is going to take
      > a long time and the prospect is making me depressed.
      >
      > Does anyone have suggestions on little things that make a big
      > difference in being more authentic?
      >
      > aliskye
    • Aliskye
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
        Thanks for your ideas!

        more below:

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Catelli, Ann" <ACatelli@...>
        wrote:

        > What _are_ your long-term goals?

        My particular interest is Elizabethan. I want to be more informed
        about their daily life, their celebrations, their history,
        everything. I know I need to do a lot more reading and make time for
        it. I also know that this doesn't come easily to me.

        > Do you want personally to have the stepped-from-a-painting look?

        Yes. :) I want to look better and not like a badly done wench from
        Ren. Faire.

        > Or do you wish the house or tent you just left to be Right?

        Yes, as far as camping is concerned, suspectng that Elizabethans
        rarely lived in tents. :)

        > Or the food to be delicious and authentic?

        I'd like to know more about what they ate, though I'm not much of a
        cook myself.

        > Obviously, that's where your heart is, and where you're likely to
        be more informed and more authentic.

        Thank you :)

        aliskye
        lyondemere, caid