Book reviews?

  • Bookwyrm
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      In search of cool during this heat wave, Empath and I spent part of
      the day at the mall. The air conditioned mall. Because the book
      store closed an hour later than the rest of the mall, we ended up
      there . . . even though the book store is a very dangerous place for
      me to be, financially. Worse than fabric stores, even! But I
      digress.

      I found one book in the Art section that seemed like it was
      tailor-made for our purposes. "Masterpieces of Illumination: The
      World's Most Famous Manuscripts 400 To 1600" was hundreds of thick
      pages of colour images of manuscripts . . . well, from 400CE to
      1600CE. Not all of them were European, but most were. There was
      usually only one or two full-page illustrations per manuscript. The
      price was unavailable on the dustjacket, and I was frankly afraid to
      look at the sticker on the plastic-shrink-wrapped one, but Amazon
      seems to believe that it's only worth US$25. http://tinyurl.com/symrv

      A book I found on Amazon that I did not see in the store looks
      intriguing, but I'm not sure about it. Has anybody here reviewed
      "Colors Demonic and Divine: Shades of Meaning in the Middle Ages and
      After? The Amazon "search inside" feature doesn't allow access to
      enough pages in a row that I can make a judgement based on it.
      http://tinyurl.com/pyhzg

      --
      Bookwyrm and Empath
      Ontario, Canada
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006

        > I found one book in the Art section that seemed like it was
        > tailor-made for our purposes. "Masterpieces of Illumination: The
        > World's Most Famous Manuscripts 400 To 1600" was hundreds of thick
        > pages of colour images of manuscripts . . . well, from 400CE to
        > 1600CE. Not all of them were European, but most were. There was
        > usually only one or two full-page illustrations per manuscript. The
        > price was unavailable on the dustjacket, and I was frankly afraid to
        > look at the sticker on the plastic-shrink-wrapped one, but Amazon
        > seems to believe that it's only worth US$25. http://tinyurl.com/symrv

        This book is a 're-release' without gold ink of an earlier title of "Codices
        Illustries; The worlds most famous illuminated manuscripts" by Walther and
        Wolf. It is completely worth the $25 that is being charged for the new
        release, even if it doesn't have the gold ink in it. The original title was
        US$60 so the new printing is a steal.

        Smiles,
        Despina