Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: bleeding leather

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      > > Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
      > > leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?
      >
      >Yes, that will work-- I should have been more specific. Any *period*
      >options? :)

      Not dye it in the first place? Depending on what you mean by "period," that
      might have been quite common. _Leather and Leatherworking in
      Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York_ notes that few dyes were detected in
      discovered items.

      Cheers, Folo
    • kelyn_of_broceliande
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:
        > Not dye it in the first place? Depending on what you mean
        by "period," that
        > might have been quite common. _Leather and Leatherworking in
        > Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York_ notes that few dyes were
        detected in
        > discovered items.
        >
        > Cheers, Folo

        Even undyed leather will stain fabrics that it comes in contact with,
        from the tanin soaking out, if the wearer sweats much in it.

        -- Kelyn
      • Lyle H. Gray
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, kelyn_of_broceliande wrote:

          > Even undyed leather will stain fabrics that it comes in
          > contact with, from the tanin soaking out, if the wearer
          > sweats much in it.

          I have a fighting tunic that bears proof of that...

          Lyle

          --
          Lyle H. Gray
          gray@... -- text only, please