RE: [Authentic_SCA] bleeding leather

  • Talia
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 7:32 PM
      Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
      leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?

      Anyone have any good ways to keep leather from bleeding like crazy?
      Any help would be much appreciated.

      -- Dante

    • Dante di Pietro
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 7:53 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Talia" <talia@...> wrote:

        > Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
        > leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?

        Yes, that will work-- I should have been more specific. Any *period*
        options? :)

        -- Dante
      • Geoffrey Schemel
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 8:17 PM
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 8:40 PM
            > > Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
            > > leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?
            >
            >Yes, that will work-- I should have been more specific. Any *period*
            >options? :)

            Not dye it in the first place? Depending on what you mean by "period," that
            might have been quite common. _Leather and Leatherworking in
            Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York_ notes that few dyes were detected in
            discovered items.

            Cheers, Folo
          • kelyn_of_broceliande
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 5:40 AM
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:
              > Not dye it in the first place? Depending on what you mean
              by "period," that
              > might have been quite common. _Leather and Leatherworking in
              > Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York_ notes that few dyes were
              detected in
              > discovered items.
              >
              > Cheers, Folo

              Even undyed leather will stain fabrics that it comes in contact with,
              from the tanin soaking out, if the wearer sweats much in it.

              -- Kelyn
            • Lyle H. Gray
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 7:07 AM
                On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, kelyn_of_broceliande wrote:

                > Even undyed leather will stain fabrics that it comes in
                > contact with, from the tanin soaking out, if the wearer
                > sweats much in it.

                I have a fighting tunic that bears proof of that...

                Lyle

                --
                Lyle H. Gray
                gray@... -- text only, please