bleeding leather

  • Dante di Pietro
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Anyone have any good ways to keep leather from bleeding like crazy?
      Any help would be much appreciated.

      -- Dante
    • Talia
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
        Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
        leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Talia" <talia@...> wrote:

          > Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
          > leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?

          Yes, that will work-- I should have been more specific. Any *period*
          options? :)

          -- Dante
        • Geoffrey Schemel
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
              > > Isn't there a leather sealant that Tandy sells (and perhaps other
              > > leather-dye manufacturers) to keep that from happening?
              >
              >Yes, that will work-- I should have been more specific. Any *period*
              >options? :)

              Not dye it in the first place? Depending on what you mean by "period," that
              might have been quite common. _Leather and Leatherworking in
              Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York_ notes that few dyes were detected in
              discovered items.

              Cheers, Folo
            • kelyn_of_broceliande
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:
                > Not dye it in the first place? Depending on what you mean
                by "period," that
                > might have been quite common. _Leather and Leatherworking in
                > Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York_ notes that few dyes were
                detected in
                > discovered items.
                >
                > Cheers, Folo

                Even undyed leather will stain fabrics that it comes in contact with,
                from the tanin soaking out, if the wearer sweats much in it.

                -- Kelyn
              • Lyle H. Gray
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
                  On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, kelyn_of_broceliande wrote:

                  > Even undyed leather will stain fabrics that it comes in
                  > contact with, from the tanin soaking out, if the wearer
                  > sweats much in it.

                  I have a fighting tunic that bears proof of that...

                  Lyle

                  --
                  Lyle H. Gray
                  gray@... -- text only, please