Re: [Authentic_SCA] Mohawks, Hair Gel, and Manicures... Bog Men With Style

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      > > >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)
      >>
      >>it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
      > >article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

      http://www.stonepages.com/news/archives/001690.html

      Carbon testing, for example, showed that Clonycavan man died between
      392- 201 BCE and Oldcroghan man from 362-175 BCE. One of these
      experts is Don Brothwell, the York University archaeologist who led
      the scientific investigation of Lindow Man, the bog body found in
      Cheshire (England) in 1984.

      So a bit early for most SCA reenactment.

      Ranvaig
    • Jessica
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        I don't know what they used to paint their nails, probably berry juice or
        something like that, but there are references to fingernail painting in
        period literature - specifically scarlet! Lisa Bitel refers to it in her
        book "Land of Women: Tales of Sex and Gender in Early Ireland". If someone
        could come up with the original source, that would be great!

        Findabhair