Re: [Authentic_SCA] Mohawks, Hair Gel, and Manicures... Bog Men With Style

  • Amelia Boysen
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)

      it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
      article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

      --
      Amelia Boysen
      Walgreens - Beauty Advisor and Hallmark Representative

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        > >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)
        >
        >it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
        >article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

        http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/36026174.html
        Has a picture of his hands. . Manicured doesn't necessarily mean painted.

        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3304_bog.html
        "Oldcroghan's nails show no signs of wear and tear. This suggests
        that he might have been an individual of high status and didn't
        perform any manual labor. Curiously, finely manicured fingernails,
        styled hair, and a good diet are a commonly occurring feature among
        other European Iron Age bog bodies."

        Ranvaig
      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          > > >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)
          >>
          >>it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
          > >article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

          http://www.stonepages.com/news/archives/001690.html

          Carbon testing, for example, showed that Clonycavan man died between
          392- 201 BCE and Oldcroghan man from 362-175 BCE. One of these
          experts is Don Brothwell, the York University archaeologist who led
          the scientific investigation of Lindow Man, the bog body found in
          Cheshire (England) in 1984.

          So a bit early for most SCA reenactment.

          Ranvaig
        • Jessica
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            I don't know what they used to paint their nails, probably berry juice or
            something like that, but there are references to fingernail painting in
            period literature - specifically scarlet! Lisa Bitel refers to it in her
            book "Land of Women: Tales of Sex and Gender in Early Ireland". If someone
            could come up with the original source, that would be great!

            Findabhair