Mohawks, Hair Gel, and Manicures... Bog Men With Style

  • GEOFF SCHEMELL
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      Just saw another news article about some of the recent Bog finds in Ireland. Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060801/od_nm/ireland_bogbodies_dc;_ylt=AsYcRM7KEYe5HRv1SRcuNg8Z.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

      Sorry for the really long URL. Sometimes I really despise Yahoo!

      -- Geoffrey Fulredy

    • tasha_medvedeva
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, GEOFF SCHEMELL <gschemel@...> wrote:

        > Just saw another news article about some of the recent Bog finds in
        Ireland. Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060801/od_nm/ireland_bogbodies_dc;_ylt=AsYcRM7KEYe5HRv1SRcuNg8Z.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

        > Sorry for the really long URL. Sometimes I really despise Yahoo!
        >
        > -- Geoffrey Fulredy

        http://tinyurl.com/mx9a4

        www.tinyurl.com is a blessing upon us all.

        Tasha
      • Amelia Boysen
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)

          it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
          article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

          --
          Amelia Boysen
          Walgreens - Beauty Advisor and Hallmark Representative

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
            > >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)
            >
            >it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
            >article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

            http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/36026174.html
            Has a picture of his hands. . Manicured doesn't necessarily mean painted.

            http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3304_bog.html
            "Oldcroghan's nails show no signs of wear and tear. This suggests
            that he might have been an individual of high status and didn't
            perform any manual labor. Curiously, finely manicured fingernails,
            styled hair, and a good diet are a commonly occurring feature among
            other European Iron Age bog bodies."

            Ranvaig
          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
              > > >Now I finally have a reason to paint my nails... :-)
              >>
              >>it'd be interesting to find out what they used to do their nails. the
              > >article doesn't really say. anyone feel like digging?

              http://www.stonepages.com/news/archives/001690.html

              Carbon testing, for example, showed that Clonycavan man died between
              392- 201 BCE and Oldcroghan man from 362-175 BCE. One of these
              experts is Don Brothwell, the York University archaeologist who led
              the scientific investigation of Lindow Man, the bog body found in
              Cheshire (England) in 1984.

              So a bit early for most SCA reenactment.

              Ranvaig
            • Jessica
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
                I don't know what they used to paint their nails, probably berry juice or
                something like that, but there are references to fingernail painting in
                period literature - specifically scarlet! Lisa Bitel refers to it in her
                book "Land of Women: Tales of Sex and Gender in Early Ireland". If someone
                could come up with the original source, that would be great!

                Findabhair