Re: Cooking with dried goods (long- includes recipe)

  • Rosie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27 9:18 PM
      Hi!
      I can't recommend anything "period," but here's something to tide you
      over: I would recommend you check your local library for Dorinda
      Hafner's "A taste of Africa;" and see if you can find any Latin
      American recipes that are remotely authentic. (I'm not talking about
      Tex-Mex tortillas.) The cuisines of both these continents are heavy on
      grains, beans and surprisingly, dried prawns (shrimp). Some of the
      recipes can look boring, but can be surprisingly "moreish."
      Here's a starter from my favourite Latin American cookbook: "The Book
      of Latin American Cooking" by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz. It's one of
      those boring but moreish recipes.

      Haussa Rice- An Afro-Brazilian dish.
      Serves 4
      450g/ 1lb dried beef
      50g butter (or a bit of flavoursome oil, butter tastes better though)
      2 medium onions, sliced thinly
      * Soak the beef overnight in cold water to cover. Drain, put into a
      saucepan with fresh cold water to cover. Bring to the boil over
      moderate heat, and drain. When the beef is cool enough to handle, dice
      it roughly. Heat the butter in a frying pan and saute the onions until
      they are lightly browned. Add the beef and cook, stirring, until it is
      lightly browned and heated through. Serve with the Brazilian style
      rice below, and the Black Eye pea fritter sauce, also below.

      Brazilian Style Rice
      * Wash and drain 350g/ 3/4lb of long grain rice. Heat 3 tbsp oil or
      lad in a saucepan and saute 1 onion, finely chopped, and 1 clove of
      garlic, finely chopped, until onion is soft. Add the rice and cook
      stirring, until the fat has been absorbed. Add 850ml/ 1 1/2 pints
      water and salt to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer over very
      low heat until the rice is tender and all the liquid absorbed, about
      20 mins. Can add a peeled, seeded and chopped tomato to the rice just
      before adding the water. (I wouldn't bother peeling or seeding it
      myself.)

      The Sauce
      50g/ 2 oz dried shrimp
      1 medium onion, chopped
      1 tbsp crushed dried chilli (or to taste)
      1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger root
      3 tbsp palm oil, (or put a bit of turmeric in some other oil)
      * Soak shrimp in cold water to cover for 1/2 an hour. Drain and
      pulverize (to the best of your ability since you are doing without
      your nice electrical kitchen implements) with the onion, chilli and
      ginger. Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute for about 3 mins. Serve.

      Hope this keeps you from starving until you discover something period.
      :)
      Rosie