Re: [Authentic_SCA] Colored laces

  • Carmen Beaudry
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Colored laces

      > Is there much evidence for laces in colors other than black or white?
      >
      > Alcyoneus

      This statement is for the period between 1590-1650. That being said, I have
      seen pictorial evidence for white, black, silver and gold lace. I have seen
      a painting of Marie de Medici wearing a set of red ruffs, but I can't tell
      if there's lace on them or not. I have a copy of a painting of Queen Anne
      of England wearing a red chemise under her dress, which I believe has red
      lace on it. I have also seen pictures of ruffs with lace that were yellow
      and light blue, but I believe these to have been tinted with starch. I have
      also read about ruffs tinted pink with starch.

      So, that's what I know about colored lace, assuming you mean lace in the
      modern sense, and not laces in the period sense, which were cords used to
      tie things together.

      Melusine