Re: [Authentic_SCA] Board Games -- Suggestions Wanted

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
      On Jul 25, 2006, at 11:36 PM, NINacide@... wrote:

      > My friend and I each made a copy of this ancient board game. I
      > have only
      > seen it for sale once in a special game store in Idywild, CA. It
      > is played on
      > a grid of 16 identical squares. I divided mine with decorative
      > inlay while
      > my friend embroidered the bag that his come in with the grid.
      > There are 16
      > pieces to the game. This is complicated to explain but each piece
      > is unique.
      > Half the pieces are tall and half are short (8 tall 8 short).
      > Half the
      > pieces are painted a dark color and half are painted a light
      > color. Half have a
      > mark on the top and half don't. Half are rounded and half are
      > square. To
      > review: One piece is tall, light colored, with a mark, and
      > rounded. A
      > completely different piece is tall, light colored, not marked, and
      > rounded. Etc.
      > The point is to get four in a row of any 1 characteristic (all
      > tall or all
      > round, etc) and the added feature is that you hand your opponent
      > the piece that
      > he is to play. It's a great war game, and that added part about
      > handing the
      > piece is the greatest part of the strategy of it.

      It sounds like a fascinating game -- do you have any details on the
      historic background? ("Ancient" doesn't tell us much, alas. And
      goodness knows, game companies have been known to use descriptions
      like that just because they think it will sell more game sets than
      "we invented this last weekend".)

      Tangwystyl
    • NINacide@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 27, 2006
        MODERATOR NOTE:
        PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS
        THANK YOU

        This game is older than chess and is hard to trace. It's name is unknown to
        myself, but I've seen it have some sort of generic latinized name on it. It
        is Scandinavian in origin, and although I cannot prove it "was not invented
        last weekend", that doesn't negate the fact that it is a very old game.

        Basically, I cannot prove it (or am unwilling at this time to find the
        documentation because that would take more effort and rescources than I currently
        have and more pressing matters are at hand), but it is authentic. Take it or
        leave it, and if you don't accept it, then we'll just pretend that it was
        made last weekend and forget the whole thing and pretend I never brought it up.

        Also, although this might not fit your tastes or what you had in mind for
        your project, but another possibility is the game where you slide little squares
        with numbers on them in a frame and arrange them into order, the 15 puzzle,
        if you will. My source (Discover Magazine 2006) implies that this game
        reached the height of its popularity in the 1800's, so it's pobably too late of
        period for your liking.

      • glaukopisathene
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 27, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jerilyn Winstead"
          <jerilynw@...> wrote:

          > The Veritable Game of Goose is one of my absolute favorites, both
          kids and
          > adults enjoy it.

          I second this! I played Goose for the first time this past weekend,
          and it's *really* fun, as well as having very simple rules. The
          bigger the group (5+ players), the better the game.

          Goose was one of the games that made an appearance at a tavern-style
          dinner my boyfriend and I put together for an event last weekend. In
          preparation for the tavern, he put up a whole section about SCA-
          period card, dice and board games on the event website:
          http://www.geocities.com/torlanswingmeister/games.html Some of
          these, like Goose and Gluckhaus, have already been mentioned, but
          there might be some other useful stuff in there. Hope that helps! :-)

          Vittoria
        • Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 27, 2006
            On Jul 27, 2006, at 1:07 AM, NINacide@... wrote:

            > MODERATOR NOTE:
            > PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS
            > THANK YOU
            >
            > This game is older than chess and is hard to trace. It's name is
            > unknown to
            > myself, but I've seen it have some sort of generic latinized name
            > on it. It
            > is Scandinavian in origin, and although I cannot prove it "was not
            > invented
            > last weekend", that doesn't negate the fact that it is a very old
            > game.
            >
            > Basically, I cannot prove it (or am unwilling at this time to find the
            > documentation because that would take more effort and rescources
            > than I currently
            > have and more pressing matters are at hand), but it is authentic.
            > Take it or
            > leave it, and if you don't accept it, then we'll just pretend that
            > it was
            > made last weekend and forget the whole thing and pretend I never
            > brought it up.

            <snip>

            I'm sorry that you took my curiosity so badly, but I refuse to
            apologize for actually being curious about the historic context of an
            item brought up on the *AUTHENTIC*_SCA mailing list. You might want
            to get used to people on this list actually being interested in
            historic information because it's likely to happen repeatedly.

            Tangwystyl
          • NINacide@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 27, 2006
              I try very hard to always remember to sign my posts. But last night I was
              insanely tired and not thinking straight. I would be better at it if other
              people expected me to sign the posts and was in the habit of doing it
              moreso...but I've been pretty good lately, but slipped up last night by accidently
              sending the message the instant I was done writing.

              Mikhail

            • Justin
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006

                > It is played on
                > a grid of 16 identical squares. I divided mine with decorative inlay while
                >
                > my friend embroidered the bag that his come in with the grid. There are 16
                >
                > pieces to the game. This is complicated to explain but each piece is
                > unique.
                > Half the pieces are tall and half are short (8 tall 8 short). Half the
                > pieces are painted a dark color and half are painted a light color. Half
                > have a
                > mark on the top and half don't. Half are rounded and half are square. To
                > review: One piece is tall, light colored, with a mark, and rounded. A
                > completely different piece is tall, light colored, not marked, and
                > rounded. Etc.
                > The point is to get four in a row of any 1 characteristic (all tall or all
                >
                > round, etc) and the added feature is that you hand your opponent the piece
                > that
                > he is to play. It's a great war game, and that added part about handing
                > the
                > piece is the greatest part of the strategy of it

                What is the name of this game? I lost it in the flow of the conversation.

                -J
                --
                "Badly!"

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                  no one I know knows the name of the game

                  Mikhail

                • Meurig ap Cynfarch
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    I was searching the posts on medieval games, and came across a post on
                    an "nameless game" of "unknown ancient origin"

                    Well, for the record, I did a little internet search and discovered
                    that the game is called "Quarto" and was invented in 1991 and received
                    a Mensa Best Mind Games Award in 1993.

                    Meurig ap Cynfarch
                  • NINacide@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      MODERATOR NOTE, AS A COURTESY TO OUR MEMBERS, PLEASE EDIT YOUR POSTS AND DO NOT TOP-POST. THANK YOU.

                      If you're talking about the game where there are 16 pieces, half are tall, half are short, half are black, half are white, half are round, half are square, half have a mark and half don't, then I have made a copy of that game. Quarto is such a generic name, I don't like it. To keep the C in SCA, I like to believe that it was reinvented in 1991, but could possibly be ancient.

                      Mikhail.