Re: Socks and footies question

  • i_odlin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 21, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, NINacide@... wrote:

      >That's interesting, instead of inventing socks, they had heavily
      >padded shoes instead. Makes sense to me....Until your shoes get
      >stinky and you can't wash them.

      Depends on your point-of-view. The one you exhibit here is entirely
      too modern.

      First; padding is easily taken out, thrown away and replaced with any
      of new moss or felt or scrap cloth once it gets too degraded. And
      leather cleans relatively easily.

      Second; we come from a society that (generally) expects its citizenry
      and their garmenture to be clean and body-scent free most all the time
      (with various obvious exceptions such as farm work or at the gym).
      Period folk had no such expectation and would almost certainly be more
      exposed to and used to all manner of body and bodily waste odor. Not,
      mind you, that they never found halitosis or horse manure offensive,
      but that their level of sensitivity to it would have to be far less
      than ours.

      I have little doubt that were I to be dropped into the middle of Paris
      in 1359, my nose would almost instantly die from shock.

      The medieval populace's idea of stinky shoes (clothes, animals,
      humans, etc) and ours are extremely unlikely to coincide.

      -Iain of Malagentia
    • Diane Dunning
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23, 2006
        NINacide wrote:

        > >That's interesting, instead of inventing socks, they had heavily
        > >padded shoes instead. Makes sense to me....Until your shoes get
        > >stinky and you can't wash them.

        An additional note on "smelly" shoes: I have very hot feet. I recently purchased a pair of
        leather boots lined in wool. I have not yet worn them with socks, and yes my feet have
        sweated in them. I have not detected an decernable sweaty foot odor. I believe that this can
        be attributed to the breathable leather and wicking properties of wool.

        Try stuffing washed wool into your period shoes. Yes it will felt as you walk and sweat inside
        your shoes. But I bet that you will find that it doesn't get smelly, your feet will be warmer or
        cooler (depending upon weather) and the wool will conform to the shape of your foot, unlike
        a felted bootie.

        Respectfully,
        Luella
        VA Swede;An tir
      • chaingangorg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23, 2006
          -(heavily snipped )
          > Try stuffing washed wool into your period shoes. Yes it will felt as
          you walk and sweat inside
          > your shoes.
          >
          > Respectfully,
          > Luella
          > VA Swede;An tir

          This past weekend, I wore my wickelbander, socks and shoes ( no
          footies ) for the first time.

          The socks provided rather better protection than anticipated, and the
          wickelbander were amazingly comfortable.

          I will be wearing my footies closest to the skin, with the socks as
          the sacrificial layer.

          Thanks all for your advice, it's much appreciated.

          Asa
        • Wanda Pease
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23, 2006
            > An additional note on "smelly" shoes: I have very hot feet. I
            > recently purchased a pair of
            > leather boots lined in wool. I have not yet worn them with socks,
            > and yes my feet have
            > sweated in them. I have not detected an discernable sweaty foot
            > odor. I believe that this can
            > be attributed to the breathable leather and wicking properties of wool.

            If the boots are line my Uggs they specifically tell you NOT to wear socks.
            Having worn mine with and without socks, I can tell you that they are much
            more comfortable and warm when you need it, cool when you need it Without
            Socks! The fleece on the inside creates hundreds of little air pockets that
            trap the warmth. If you put on socks you lose a lot of that.

            That said, I have two pair of black Uggs and I wear them turn and turn about
            to work all winter long. I let the pair I wore one day sit and "breathe"
            while I wear the second pair. I have poor circulation in my feet and they
            get all sweaty and cold (strange combination, I know) in regular shoes and
            socks. My original pair had removable insoles so you could wash them every
            once in a while, but I've never noticed an odor at least until one of my
            cats decided to mark them as His and I had to get another pair.

            I love my fleece lined boots because the fleece insole conforms exactly to
            the shape of the bottom of my foot and supports me. Having spent much of my
            free time barefoot I have had the misfortune of breaking my toes several
            times. Sometimes they didn't heal exactly right (you can't splint or cast
            the little darlings) and heels are unthinkable except for sitting down. 1/2
            block walk in them and I am crippled.

            One thing I love about become "mature". I don't have to wear high heels,
            expensive shoes, etc, if I don't want to. If I have to wear regular shoes
            to maintain the professional image, I can wear flats.

            Regina Romsey
          • Robert Van Rens
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 24, 2006
              MODERATOR EDIT FOR TOP-POSTING. PLEASE BE KIND TO THE THOUSAND-PLUS MEMBERS OF THIS LIST AND EDIT YOUR POSTS. REPEATING THE SAME MESSAGE VERBATIM IS NOT NECESSARY.

              Wanda? Fomerly of OKA Wanda Pease?

              Rob Van Rens
              Knoxville, MD