Re: Oseberg Textiles

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2006
      My copy of the Oseberg Textiles book arrived today. I have just finished my
      first pass through, looking at the illustrations and reading the English
      summary in the back. I am extremely happy with it. It contains much that I
      have not seen before (even though I also have the Sofie Kraft book of her
      watercolors). There is only a small amount on costume in it... most
      textiles being identified as decorative and furnishings. In addition to the
      tapestry woven textiles are extensive sections on the tablet woven bands,
      embroidery (identified as Anglo-Saxon) and silks.The book itself is large
      folio in a binding matching that of the other volumes of the Oseberfundet
      published many years ago. For a book of this size and value (and a limited
      print run of only 1200 copies), I consider it a worthwhile purchase. I
      expect that it will be awhile before it is available via inter-library loan.

      The book may be ordered directly from the Kulturhistorisk Museum in Oslo,
      price: NOK 1100 (including shipping) but must be paid in Norwegian Kroners.
      In USA: Contact Fred Struthers fsbks AT mcn.org if interested, as he is
      considering carrying it.

      Osebergfunnet IV - Tekstilene (The Oseberg find - The textiles) by Arne
      Emil Christensen and Margareta Nockert, Kulturhistorisk Museum (May 6th
      2006), Universitetet i Oslo. 24 x 36 cm. 408pp. ISBN 82-8984-024-9.

      Regards,
      Beth Matney