Re: [Authentic_SCA] domestic architecture and furnishings

  • Christiana
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
      Another response to:

      Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

      > > Greetings all,
      > >
      > > Over the next several years I am going to be
      > > converting my house to a daycare center and the
      > > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
      > > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be
      > fun
      > > to do it in a medieval style, more or less
      > 12th/13th
      > > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would
      > not
      > > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
      > > machine, computer, and excessive books from the
      > place,
      > > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind
      > curtains
      > > when not actually in use.
      > >
      > > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
      > > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance
      > I am
      > > attempting to create.

      Here are 4 books to look up. The first 3 I have not
      had time to cross compare so I can't comment on
      accuracy, but they may be of some use:
      Life on a Medieval Barony by William Stearns Davis (an
      early 20th century book, with a scholarly background)
      A Baronial Household of the 13th Century by Margaret
      Wade Labarge (mid 20th century)
      Growing Up in the 13th Century by Alfred Duggan (publ.
      in England, mid 20th C)
      Lastly, I offer a definitely good quality book:
      Pilgrimage to Rome in the Middle Ages by Debra J.
      Birch, ISSN 0955-2480 by Boydell and Brewer. This
      originallly sold at $95 locally, but I waited VERY
      patiently until it was marked down enough to be
      affordable! Despite the subject, there is good info
      to glean. Well researched.

      Christiana de Avochelie

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jerilyn Winstead
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 21, 2006
        MODERATOR NOTE:
        PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST TO THIS LIST
        THANK YOU

        Elyn, please please please post some photos!!!!!

        drooling here

        Jane