Fwd: decorative metal lacing rings on Ital Ren gowns

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2006
      Greetings from Bogdan!

      This was posted by Mistress Annaleni di Corsini, reposted for your
      pleasure with her permission (another person whom I am looking forward to
      meeting come August). The "attached" 1508 picture was scrubbed by NDSU,
      so I don't have it to attach. Sorry.

      ....period sources for decorative metal rings for the lacing of Ital Ren

      Pre 1500 http://www.arengario.net/momenti/imm/momenti04d.jpg

      There are a good dozen other paintings of the same type, which does give the
      initial impression there were many pictures of such closures, but many of
      those are similar enough that they were likely copied from (or at least
      inspired by) a single original work; most but not all are by Crivelli. The
      details of the clasps change from picture to picture, sometimes being plain
      gold rings and sometimes decorative, but less opulent, pieces. Generally
      speaking, the dressier the gown is in fabric, the more decorative the
      closures are.

      I had another good example from this period that wasn't Crivelli but my
      computer ate the first version of my letter along with all the links, and I
      can't find that one again. Will post it if I figure out where it was.

      Post 1500:

      Interesting mix of Portugese, Spanish and Italian elements, in this Italian
      painting of a Portugese betrothal party. Opulent gold closures on the
      center figure appear to have two rings each. Note they are are arranged
      across a wide opening through which the chemise shows, in exactly the manner
      imitated by the green dress (below)

      Decorative metal disks pierced by the lacing holes

      1508 (attached jpg)

      I find this one very interesting. The actual lacing rings are simple gold
      rings, but the metalwork embroidery of the gown is designed to mimic more
      opulent fastenings, almost as if there were crivelli-style metal clasps.
      There are other versions of this picture as well. Note that it mirrors
      exactly the style and proportion of outfit in the example from 1502

      In summary: There is some visual evidence of this style existing in Italy in
      the early 1500's, though not a lot. If you assume that all the Crivelli
      paintings stem from a single source, then the evidence of a smiliar style
      before 1500 is scarce. If you believe that the variations in Crivelli's
      different versions of the Maddalena reflect styles he had actually seen on
      women's dresses, then it's documented better.

      Annalena di Corsini

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences