Re: upholstery fabrics questions

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jerilyn" <jerilynw@...> wrote:

      > Also, if I buy one these beautiful fabrics which have unbroken
      > embroidery all over it, should I always just plan to buy enough fabric
      > to cut out the gown as whole as possible?

      Have you seen this?
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/17thc/jacket.html

      Search for crewel fabrics if you're doing late 16th century stuff.
      These are pricy, but it's usually wool thread on a wool ground. They
      sometimes turn up on eBay - just be sure it's not a crewel patterned
      print! I bought a 1 yard sample about a year or so ago at
      www.fabric.com but they don't currently stock any crewels. (It's done
      duty as both a table cover and a shawl....)

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West Kingdom
    • Jerilyn Winstead
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2006
        Thank you Alia--that's just what I needed!

        Jane

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2006
          Apologies for that double post - my connection must've burped or
          something.

          http://www.virtue.to/articles/modern_fabric.html might be of use, if
          you have not already seen it.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • NINacide@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 15, 2006
            If any of you are in the Orange County, CA area, there is a very good fabric
            store near Ball and Knott. It is one of the largest stores I've ever seen
            with everything from Tartans in 100% wool to small amounts of leather goods.
            It's worth the trip if you live within 50 miles of it.

            Mikhail

            PS. I'm working on a Gambeson, does anyone have any information that would
            be helpful for that. I.E. sewing thick (comforter blanket) filled fabrics,
            sewing tough material such as canvas, or how to reinforce seams with leather?

          • catfromtex
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 16, 2006
              Would you happen to know the name of the store? I'd make the trek from
              Ventura County for a really good fabric store (but I'd need a
              name/address to Mapquest the location).

              Thanks,

              Alia

            • NINacide@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 16, 2006
                I think it is M&L Fabrics.

                Mikhail

              • NINacide@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 16, 2006
                  PS. It is on Ball, East of Knott by about 200 yards.
                  Mikhail

                • wodeford
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 17, 2006
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, NINacide@... wrote:

                    > I think it is M&L Fabrics.

                    Aha, a little detective work with Yahoo Maps and:

                    M & L Fabrics Discount Store
                    3430 W Ball Rd, Anaheim, CA 92804
                    (714) 995-3178

                    http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=9605856&ck=1937991300&tab=B2C&ycat=92209884&city=Anaheim&state=CA&uzip=92805&country=us&msa=5945&cs=4&ed=m2Hq7K1o2TySvaoH2tKsRJmaMPLCNum9Ch3OMOdAKWSciA--&stat=:pos:4:regular:regT:8:fbT:6

                    Jehanne de Wodeford
                    West Kingdom
                  • c taylor
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 18, 2006
                      Eeexcelent! Thanks so much for the M&L info.

                      -Alia

                      http://mail.yahoo.com