RE: [Authentic_SCA] Working dogs

  • Terri Morgan
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 4, 2006
      I can attest that when someone with a working dog contacted me (when I was
      the Pennsic Troll) ahead of time, it was *wonderful*. Not only did it
      brighten my day but it increased the number of volunteers I had when the
      word got out ("We're going to have a person come through with a sightdog/
      alarm dog/ trained monkey (!) and they'll be needing to contact ____ when
      they get here"). Everyone wanted to be the person who got to meet the dog
      and its owner *first*, indulgent folks that they were.

      I've seen working animals with and without special 'SCA' collars/backpacks -
      generally, there has been no problem in recognising them as such no matter
      what their collar looks like. When they're working, it's obvious. Use what
      appeals to you. But may I suggest that if you do decide to make a special
      'camping/vacation' collar for your dog, that you consider putting the
      Chirurgeons symbol on it somewhere if you are concerned about other folks
      being able to tell.

      Hrothny
    • Bookwyrm
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 4, 2006
        On 04/06/06, Terri Morgan <online2much@...> wrote:
        > But may I suggest that if you do decide to make a special
        > 'camping/vacation' collar for your dog, that you consider
        > putting the Chirurgeons symbol on it somewhere if you are
        > concerned about other folks being able to tell.

        That sounds like a wonderful idea.

        However, is it 'legal"? My dog is wonderful for MY needs, but he
        doesn't meet the standards to be part of the chirugeonate.

        --
        Bookwyrm and Empath
        Ontario, Canada
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
          Greetings all,

          Over the next several years I am going to be
          converting my house to a daycare center and the
          detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
          room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
          to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
          century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
          serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
          machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
          I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
          when not actually in use.

          So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
          anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
          attempting to create.

          Thank you for your help.

          Andrea of Anglespur
          kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
          So many books, so little time!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
            Quoting Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

            > Greetings all,
            >
            > Over the next several years I am going to be
            > converting my house to a daycare center and the
            > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
            > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
            > to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
            > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
            > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
            > machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
            > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
            > when not actually in use.
            >
            > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
            > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
            > attempting to create.

            While this may be later than you want, Peter Thornton has a book titled
            The Italian Renaissance Interior.

            *wonderful* book!

            Here's a review
            http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3394/is_199409/ai_n8140290

            ILL may be your friend. As I recall, this is a pricey book.

            Jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
              A few thoughts:

              Chests and trunks make great places to store things (and it provides a
              place to put the sewing machine, etc., once you take it out). Ikea
              used to have some nice wooden chests that could easily be modified
              (painted, decorated, etc.) to fit into a more mediaeval look.

              For computers: Think about wireless computers and using laptops. The
              laptops can be hidden out of sight easily enough, and have the
              advantage of being portable.

              You can use curtains around the walls--a popular wall covering, at
              least in the 15th and 16th centuries (and I believe earlier) in
              England. This can allow you to hide doors or other items, if you
              want.

              Perhaps further than you want to go: World Market has some nice
              matting that reminds me of the rush mats that might give a good feel
              to the room, but I've not tried it myself.

              Just a few thoughts late at night.

              -Ii
            • Tiffany Brown
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                The first two references that spring to mind:

                U.T. Holmes "Daily living in the 12th Century"
                I'm sure you've heard about it by now, possibly even read it. It has
                a long chapter describing the layout of a townhouse, and annother
                describing a country manor.
                The description seems to indicate rather less clutter of posetions
                than today, but false walls or wall hangings might be effective for
                soem intense storage spaces. Beds with hangings (to keep the warmth
                in) were the fashion, so maybe a fake bed wit hthe curtains closed
                could serve as a space for the sewing machine and other clutter?.

                Zarnecki (ed) "romenesque art" book and companion video
                There are several extant 12th C english buildings. One a dwelling in
                an upstairs corner of a warehouse. The book is great for fittings -
                check out the doorknobs and oil lamps, the video give a very brief,
                but 3D tour of some of those buildings.

                If you can't find those books instantly, let me know and I'll dig out
                a proper citation.

                There are also a lot of 12th C extant bits and bobs in museum online
                photo libraries - trunks, wall hangings, that sort of thing.

                Sounds like a facinating project,
                Teffania

                On 6/20/06, Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:
                > Greetings all,
                >
                > Over the next several years I am going to be
                > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
                > to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
                > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
                > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                > machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
                > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
                > when not actually in use.
                >
                > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
                > attempting to create.
                >
                > Thank you for your help.
                >
                > Andrea of Anglespur
                > kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                > So many books, so little time!

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Dragon
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                  MODERATOR NOTE:
                  PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST
                  THANK YOU

                  Hi,

                  It does indeed sound fascinating, I do hope you will post pics and stuff.

                  A lot depends on how accurate you want to get. A lot of churches are
                  being refitted around the country, you might find some treasure if you
                  check out the architectural salvage places. I doubt it would be
                  genuinely medieval but it might have the right look.

                  Just a thought.

                  Dragon
                • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                    Andrea of Anglespur....room ideas

                    Dear Lady,

                    Last autumn I had my 2 1/2 car garage converted into a medieval Hall. The area that would have been the buttery is my lovely laundry room that has excellent disguise when we have get togethers and all serving of beverages etc. takes place from this room. Where the solar would have been I have a storage rooom above the buttery and part of the hall, with a drop down staircase. We left the structural beams and enclosed them in somewhat rough planking to increase the size. These were burned with a torch to darken and age them before they were stained. I had a closet built to the approximate design of one I saw in Warrick Castle and also imitated a method of hanging colothing items on the wall. I went with modern triple glazed windows with cross hatching as I wanted all the light I could get for needlework, spinning and such. Fortunately I already had found a wall sconce and a chandelier on Ebay that are perfect in the lighting. The doorways are arched and the one into
                    the house is waiting for it's planks. I found some nice hardware at Lowe's, and in catalogs.

                    My real concession to medieval decorating is coming out in my wall paintings. I am copying several marvelous figures that I found in Easby Abby, England and in some examples of Danish church interiors. I did not initially think of painting anything more than faux stone walls, but I am hooked now on the murals. The odd shapes of the roof line and other bits are lending themselves nicely to some little odds and ends of characters I found here and there in wall art.

                    We finished up with iron rods for curtains, antlers, old dark furniture and persian rugs and it is all coming together. It's the favorite room of the house.

                    Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know.

                    Elyn de Haoucmore

                  • Christiana
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Another response to:

                      Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

                      > > Greetings all,
                      > >
                      > > Over the next several years I am going to be
                      > > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                      > > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                      > > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be
                      > fun
                      > > to do it in a medieval style, more or less
                      > 12th/13th
                      > > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would
                      > not
                      > > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                      > > machine, computer, and excessive books from the
                      > place,
                      > > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind
                      > curtains
                      > > when not actually in use.
                      > >
                      > > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                      > > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance
                      > I am
                      > > attempting to create.

                      Here are 4 books to look up. The first 3 I have not
                      had time to cross compare so I can't comment on
                      accuracy, but they may be of some use:
                      Life on a Medieval Barony by William Stearns Davis (an
                      early 20th century book, with a scholarly background)
                      A Baronial Household of the 13th Century by Margaret
                      Wade Labarge (mid 20th century)
                      Growing Up in the 13th Century by Alfred Duggan (publ.
                      in England, mid 20th C)
                      Lastly, I offer a definitely good quality book:
                      Pilgrimage to Rome in the Middle Ages by Debra J.
                      Birch, ISSN 0955-2480 by Boydell and Brewer. This
                      originallly sold at $95 locally, but I waited VERY
                      patiently until it was marked down enough to be
                      affordable! Despite the subject, there is good info
                      to glean. Well researched.

                      Christiana de Avochelie

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Jerilyn Winstead
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 21, 2006
                        MODERATOR NOTE:
                        PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST TO THIS LIST
                        THANK YOU

                        Elyn, please please please post some photos!!!!!

                        drooling here

                        Jane