Re: Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2006
      > For ME, the markings are not medically necessary. The dog is
      > medically necessary. The MARKINGS are a courtesy to those charged
      > with keeping pets out of no-pets sites.
      >
      > The balancing act here is to courteously not intrude on other
      > people's enjoyment with something obviously out of period, like his
      > mundane embroidered nylong backpack, while still making it clear
      > enough to the terribly harassed person who is trying to make sure
      > the rules are followed and we may, in fact, use the site again that
      > I am no threat, and that she doesn't need to spend a lot of time
      > arguing with me about whether or not the dog is allowed.

      In my opinion, any medical helper dog should be kept in their mundane
      "uniforms". That way the mundane authorites can tell at a clance that
      they are working dogs, not pets (this is the best way of ending any
      argument with the people at gate). Like wheelchairs, these are
      something that I would gladly use my visual filter to accept. Also,
      many have been taught to aproach a working dog differently then a pet.

      For the sake of the SCA folk and ease of the site crew, I would
      contact the Autocrat for the event before the event and have papers
      for the dog to give to the person at the gate and a copy for the
      chiurgeon. The autocrat can inform the site owner of the helper dog
      coming --there are many laws on the books that insure that he is
      welcome-- and be ready for you at the gate (remember many people at
      gate are new).

      I know its extra work, but it beats getting to an event only to have
      to argue your way in.

      Donata Bonacorsi
    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 4, 2006
        I can attest that when someone with a working dog contacted me (when I was
        the Pennsic Troll) ahead of time, it was *wonderful*. Not only did it
        brighten my day but it increased the number of volunteers I had when the
        word got out ("We're going to have a person come through with a sightdog/
        alarm dog/ trained monkey (!) and they'll be needing to contact ____ when
        they get here"). Everyone wanted to be the person who got to meet the dog
        and its owner *first*, indulgent folks that they were.

        I've seen working animals with and without special 'SCA' collars/backpacks -
        generally, there has been no problem in recognising them as such no matter
        what their collar looks like. When they're working, it's obvious. Use what
        appeals to you. But may I suggest that if you do decide to make a special
        'camping/vacation' collar for your dog, that you consider putting the
        Chirurgeons symbol on it somewhere if you are concerned about other folks
        being able to tell.

        Hrothny
      • Bookwyrm
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 4, 2006
          On 04/06/06, Terri Morgan <online2much@...> wrote:
          > But may I suggest that if you do decide to make a special
          > 'camping/vacation' collar for your dog, that you consider
          > putting the Chirurgeons symbol on it somewhere if you are
          > concerned about other folks being able to tell.

          That sounds like a wonderful idea.

          However, is it 'legal"? My dog is wonderful for MY needs, but he
          doesn't meet the standards to be part of the chirugeonate.

          --
          Bookwyrm and Empath
          Ontario, Canada
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
            Greetings all,

            Over the next several years I am going to be
            converting my house to a daycare center and the
            detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
            room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
            to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
            century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
            serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
            machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
            I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
            when not actually in use.

            So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
            anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
            attempting to create.

            Thank you for your help.

            Andrea of Anglespur
            kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
            So many books, so little time!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
              Quoting Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

              > Greetings all,
              >
              > Over the next several years I am going to be
              > converting my house to a daycare center and the
              > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
              > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
              > to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
              > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
              > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
              > machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
              > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
              > when not actually in use.
              >
              > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
              > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
              > attempting to create.

              While this may be later than you want, Peter Thornton has a book titled
              The Italian Renaissance Interior.

              *wonderful* book!

              Here's a review
              http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3394/is_199409/ai_n8140290

              ILL may be your friend. As I recall, this is a pricey book.

              Jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
                A few thoughts:

                Chests and trunks make great places to store things (and it provides a
                place to put the sewing machine, etc., once you take it out). Ikea
                used to have some nice wooden chests that could easily be modified
                (painted, decorated, etc.) to fit into a more mediaeval look.

                For computers: Think about wireless computers and using laptops. The
                laptops can be hidden out of sight easily enough, and have the
                advantage of being portable.

                You can use curtains around the walls--a popular wall covering, at
                least in the 15th and 16th centuries (and I believe earlier) in
                England. This can allow you to hide doors or other items, if you
                want.

                Perhaps further than you want to go: World Market has some nice
                matting that reminds me of the rush mats that might give a good feel
                to the room, but I've not tried it myself.

                Just a few thoughts late at night.

                -Ii
              • Tiffany Brown
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                  The first two references that spring to mind:

                  U.T. Holmes "Daily living in the 12th Century"
                  I'm sure you've heard about it by now, possibly even read it. It has
                  a long chapter describing the layout of a townhouse, and annother
                  describing a country manor.
                  The description seems to indicate rather less clutter of posetions
                  than today, but false walls or wall hangings might be effective for
                  soem intense storage spaces. Beds with hangings (to keep the warmth
                  in) were the fashion, so maybe a fake bed wit hthe curtains closed
                  could serve as a space for the sewing machine and other clutter?.

                  Zarnecki (ed) "romenesque art" book and companion video
                  There are several extant 12th C english buildings. One a dwelling in
                  an upstairs corner of a warehouse. The book is great for fittings -
                  check out the doorknobs and oil lamps, the video give a very brief,
                  but 3D tour of some of those buildings.

                  If you can't find those books instantly, let me know and I'll dig out
                  a proper citation.

                  There are also a lot of 12th C extant bits and bobs in museum online
                  photo libraries - trunks, wall hangings, that sort of thing.

                  Sounds like a facinating project,
                  Teffania

                  On 6/20/06, Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:
                  > Greetings all,
                  >
                  > Over the next several years I am going to be
                  > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                  > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                  > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
                  > to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
                  > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
                  > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                  > machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
                  > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
                  > when not actually in use.
                  >
                  > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                  > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
                  > attempting to create.
                  >
                  > Thank you for your help.
                  >
                  > Andrea of Anglespur
                  > kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                  > So many books, so little time!

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Dragon
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                    MODERATOR NOTE:
                    PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST
                    THANK YOU

                    Hi,

                    It does indeed sound fascinating, I do hope you will post pics and stuff.

                    A lot depends on how accurate you want to get. A lot of churches are
                    being refitted around the country, you might find some treasure if you
                    check out the architectural salvage places. I doubt it would be
                    genuinely medieval but it might have the right look.

                    Just a thought.

                    Dragon
                  • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Andrea of Anglespur....room ideas

                      Dear Lady,

                      Last autumn I had my 2 1/2 car garage converted into a medieval Hall. The area that would have been the buttery is my lovely laundry room that has excellent disguise when we have get togethers and all serving of beverages etc. takes place from this room. Where the solar would have been I have a storage rooom above the buttery and part of the hall, with a drop down staircase. We left the structural beams and enclosed them in somewhat rough planking to increase the size. These were burned with a torch to darken and age them before they were stained. I had a closet built to the approximate design of one I saw in Warrick Castle and also imitated a method of hanging colothing items on the wall. I went with modern triple glazed windows with cross hatching as I wanted all the light I could get for needlework, spinning and such. Fortunately I already had found a wall sconce and a chandelier on Ebay that are perfect in the lighting. The doorways are arched and the one into
                      the house is waiting for it's planks. I found some nice hardware at Lowe's, and in catalogs.

                      My real concession to medieval decorating is coming out in my wall paintings. I am copying several marvelous figures that I found in Easby Abby, England and in some examples of Danish church interiors. I did not initially think of painting anything more than faux stone walls, but I am hooked now on the murals. The odd shapes of the roof line and other bits are lending themselves nicely to some little odds and ends of characters I found here and there in wall art.

                      We finished up with iron rods for curtains, antlers, old dark furniture and persian rugs and it is all coming together. It's the favorite room of the house.

                      Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know.

                      Elyn de Haoucmore

                    • Christiana
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                        Another response to:

                        Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

                        > > Greetings all,
                        > >
                        > > Over the next several years I am going to be
                        > > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                        > > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                        > > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be
                        > fun
                        > > to do it in a medieval style, more or less
                        > 12th/13th
                        > > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would
                        > not
                        > > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                        > > machine, computer, and excessive books from the
                        > place,
                        > > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind
                        > curtains
                        > > when not actually in use.
                        > >
                        > > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                        > > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance
                        > I am
                        > > attempting to create.

                        Here are 4 books to look up. The first 3 I have not
                        had time to cross compare so I can't comment on
                        accuracy, but they may be of some use:
                        Life on a Medieval Barony by William Stearns Davis (an
                        early 20th century book, with a scholarly background)
                        A Baronial Household of the 13th Century by Margaret
                        Wade Labarge (mid 20th century)
                        Growing Up in the 13th Century by Alfred Duggan (publ.
                        in England, mid 20th C)
                        Lastly, I offer a definitely good quality book:
                        Pilgrimage to Rome in the Middle Ages by Debra J.
                        Birch, ISSN 0955-2480 by Boydell and Brewer. This
                        originallly sold at $95 locally, but I waited VERY
                        patiently until it was marked down enough to be
                        affordable! Despite the subject, there is good info
                        to glean. Well researched.

                        Christiana de Avochelie

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Jerilyn Winstead
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 21, 2006
                          MODERATOR NOTE:
                          PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST TO THIS LIST
                          THANK YOU

                          Elyn, please please please post some photos!!!!!

                          drooling here

                          Jane