Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • Bookwyrm
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2006
      On 02/06/06, Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:
      > In period, one would use a new buckle, not a
      > centuries-old one.

      If not new, at least recent? You're right, of course, that if they
      endlessly recycled buckles, there wouldn't be enough finds for them to
      be affordable. The most affordable artifacts are probably also the
      most disposable. (The same holds true at a garage sale :-)

      > So although a surviving find gets full points for
      > material, style, workmanship, etc, it fails on
      > sturdiness, lack of wear and tear, essentially on age.
      > So which is super-authentic, a surviving find or a new
      > piece of work which copies as much as possible that
      > surviving find (minus the ravages of the centuries)?

      Well, for me, part of the consideration was that metalwork is not one
      of my skills. Buying a buckle is thus my only option. You are, of
      course, correct in implying that a reasonably affluent persona would
      have bought new . . . but this brings one to another issue: If the
      original buckle was forged (as Ercule d'Archambeaux suggested to be
      likely), modern buckles are stamped, and easily available
      reproductions are cast (either from original work or from existing
      finds)

      Do I need to hunt down a smith?

      > The same question occurred to me while reading an
      > excellent book on medieval furniture which includes
      > sections on how to "age" it. If one is trying to copy
      > an extant piece exactly as it is now, that makes
      > sense. But it is not how the piece would have appeared
      > when it was made.

      Hmm. But if we're doing things for recreational use, they won't GET
      the same level of traffic that they would have gotten, and our
      environments are different. I think my personal preference would be
      to simulate how it would look after a year or two of use, rather than
      centuries or brand new. Realistically, using brand new stuff is going
      to be a fairly rare occurrence in a stuff-poor environment.

      --
      Bookwyrm and Empath
      Ontario, Canada
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 2, 2006
        > For ME, the markings are not medically necessary. The dog is
        > medically necessary. The MARKINGS are a courtesy to those charged
        > with keeping pets out of no-pets sites.
        >
        > The balancing act here is to courteously not intrude on other
        > people's enjoyment with something obviously out of period, like his
        > mundane embroidered nylong backpack, while still making it clear
        > enough to the terribly harassed person who is trying to make sure
        > the rules are followed and we may, in fact, use the site again that
        > I am no threat, and that she doesn't need to spend a lot of time
        > arguing with me about whether or not the dog is allowed.

        In my opinion, any medical helper dog should be kept in their mundane
        "uniforms". That way the mundane authorites can tell at a clance that
        they are working dogs, not pets (this is the best way of ending any
        argument with the people at gate). Like wheelchairs, these are
        something that I would gladly use my visual filter to accept. Also,
        many have been taught to aproach a working dog differently then a pet.

        For the sake of the SCA folk and ease of the site crew, I would
        contact the Autocrat for the event before the event and have papers
        for the dog to give to the person at the gate and a copy for the
        chiurgeon. The autocrat can inform the site owner of the helper dog
        coming --there are many laws on the books that insure that he is
        welcome-- and be ready for you at the gate (remember many people at
        gate are new).

        I know its extra work, but it beats getting to an event only to have
        to argue your way in.

        Donata Bonacorsi
      • Terri Morgan
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 4, 2006
          I can attest that when someone with a working dog contacted me (when I was
          the Pennsic Troll) ahead of time, it was *wonderful*. Not only did it
          brighten my day but it increased the number of volunteers I had when the
          word got out ("We're going to have a person come through with a sightdog/
          alarm dog/ trained monkey (!) and they'll be needing to contact ____ when
          they get here"). Everyone wanted to be the person who got to meet the dog
          and its owner *first*, indulgent folks that they were.

          I've seen working animals with and without special 'SCA' collars/backpacks -
          generally, there has been no problem in recognising them as such no matter
          what their collar looks like. When they're working, it's obvious. Use what
          appeals to you. But may I suggest that if you do decide to make a special
          'camping/vacation' collar for your dog, that you consider putting the
          Chirurgeons symbol on it somewhere if you are concerned about other folks
          being able to tell.

          Hrothny
        • Bookwyrm
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 4, 2006
            On 04/06/06, Terri Morgan <online2much@...> wrote:
            > But may I suggest that if you do decide to make a special
            > 'camping/vacation' collar for your dog, that you consider
            > putting the Chirurgeons symbol on it somewhere if you are
            > concerned about other folks being able to tell.

            That sounds like a wonderful idea.

            However, is it 'legal"? My dog is wonderful for MY needs, but he
            doesn't meet the standards to be part of the chirugeonate.

            --
            Bookwyrm and Empath
            Ontario, Canada
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
              Greetings all,

              Over the next several years I am going to be
              converting my house to a daycare center and the
              detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
              room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
              to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
              century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
              serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
              machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
              I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
              when not actually in use.

              So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
              anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
              attempting to create.

              Thank you for your help.

              Andrea of Anglespur
              kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
              So many books, so little time!

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
                Quoting Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

                > Greetings all,
                >
                > Over the next several years I am going to be
                > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
                > to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
                > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
                > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                > machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
                > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
                > when not actually in use.
                >
                > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
                > attempting to create.

                While this may be later than you want, Peter Thornton has a book titled
                The Italian Renaissance Interior.

                *wonderful* book!

                Here's a review
                http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3394/is_199409/ai_n8140290

                ILL may be your friend. As I recall, this is a pricey book.

                Jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 19, 2006
                  A few thoughts:

                  Chests and trunks make great places to store things (and it provides a
                  place to put the sewing machine, etc., once you take it out). Ikea
                  used to have some nice wooden chests that could easily be modified
                  (painted, decorated, etc.) to fit into a more mediaeval look.

                  For computers: Think about wireless computers and using laptops. The
                  laptops can be hidden out of sight easily enough, and have the
                  advantage of being portable.

                  You can use curtains around the walls--a popular wall covering, at
                  least in the 15th and 16th centuries (and I believe earlier) in
                  England. This can allow you to hide doors or other items, if you
                  want.

                  Perhaps further than you want to go: World Market has some nice
                  matting that reminds me of the rush mats that might give a good feel
                  to the room, but I've not tried it myself.

                  Just a few thoughts late at night.

                  -Ii
                • Tiffany Brown
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                    The first two references that spring to mind:

                    U.T. Holmes "Daily living in the 12th Century"
                    I'm sure you've heard about it by now, possibly even read it. It has
                    a long chapter describing the layout of a townhouse, and annother
                    describing a country manor.
                    The description seems to indicate rather less clutter of posetions
                    than today, but false walls or wall hangings might be effective for
                    soem intense storage spaces. Beds with hangings (to keep the warmth
                    in) were the fashion, so maybe a fake bed wit hthe curtains closed
                    could serve as a space for the sewing machine and other clutter?.

                    Zarnecki (ed) "romenesque art" book and companion video
                    There are several extant 12th C english buildings. One a dwelling in
                    an upstairs corner of a warehouse. The book is great for fittings -
                    check out the doorknobs and oil lamps, the video give a very brief,
                    but 3D tour of some of those buildings.

                    If you can't find those books instantly, let me know and I'll dig out
                    a proper citation.

                    There are also a lot of 12th C extant bits and bobs in museum online
                    photo libraries - trunks, wall hangings, that sort of thing.

                    Sounds like a facinating project,
                    Teffania

                    On 6/20/06, Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:
                    > Greetings all,
                    >
                    > Over the next several years I am going to be
                    > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                    > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                    > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be fun
                    > to do it in a medieval style, more or less 12th/13th
                    > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would not
                    > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                    > machine, computer, and excessive books from the place,
                    > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind curtains
                    > when not actually in use.
                    >
                    > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                    > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance I am
                    > attempting to create.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your help.
                    >
                    > Andrea of Anglespur
                    > kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
                    > So many books, so little time!

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Dragon
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                      MODERATOR NOTE:
                      PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST
                      THANK YOU

                      Hi,

                      It does indeed sound fascinating, I do hope you will post pics and stuff.

                      A lot depends on how accurate you want to get. A lot of churches are
                      being refitted around the country, you might find some treasure if you
                      check out the architectural salvage places. I doubt it would be
                      genuinely medieval but it might have the right look.

                      Just a thought.

                      Dragon
                    • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                        Andrea of Anglespur....room ideas

                        Dear Lady,

                        Last autumn I had my 2 1/2 car garage converted into a medieval Hall. The area that would have been the buttery is my lovely laundry room that has excellent disguise when we have get togethers and all serving of beverages etc. takes place from this room. Where the solar would have been I have a storage rooom above the buttery and part of the hall, with a drop down staircase. We left the structural beams and enclosed them in somewhat rough planking to increase the size. These were burned with a torch to darken and age them before they were stained. I had a closet built to the approximate design of one I saw in Warrick Castle and also imitated a method of hanging colothing items on the wall. I went with modern triple glazed windows with cross hatching as I wanted all the light I could get for needlework, spinning and such. Fortunately I already had found a wall sconce and a chandelier on Ebay that are perfect in the lighting. The doorways are arched and the one into
                        the house is waiting for it's planks. I found some nice hardware at Lowe's, and in catalogs.

                        My real concession to medieval decorating is coming out in my wall paintings. I am copying several marvelous figures that I found in Easby Abby, England and in some examples of Danish church interiors. I did not initially think of painting anything more than faux stone walls, but I am hooked now on the murals. The odd shapes of the roof line and other bits are lending themselves nicely to some little odds and ends of characters I found here and there in wall art.

                        We finished up with iron rods for curtains, antlers, old dark furniture and persian rugs and it is all coming together. It's the favorite room of the house.

                        Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know.

                        Elyn de Haoucmore

                      • Christiana
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 20, 2006
                          Another response to:

                          Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...>:

                          > > Greetings all,
                          > >
                          > > Over the next several years I am going to be
                          > > converting my house to a daycare center and the
                          > > detached two-car garage to an adult retreat/sewing
                          > > room/cat haven/library/office. I think it would be
                          > fun
                          > > to do it in a medieval style, more or less
                          > 12th/13th
                          > > century Welsh/British. Although it obviously would
                          > not
                          > > serve my needs to omit necessities such as sewing
                          > > machine, computer, and excessive books from the
                          > place,
                          > > I do want to hide them in furniture or behind
                          > curtains
                          > > when not actually in use.
                          > >
                          > > So I am looking for ideas, pictures, descriptions,
                          > > anything that will help me visualize the ambiance
                          > I am
                          > > attempting to create.

                          Here are 4 books to look up. The first 3 I have not
                          had time to cross compare so I can't comment on
                          accuracy, but they may be of some use:
                          Life on a Medieval Barony by William Stearns Davis (an
                          early 20th century book, with a scholarly background)
                          A Baronial Household of the 13th Century by Margaret
                          Wade Labarge (mid 20th century)
                          Growing Up in the 13th Century by Alfred Duggan (publ.
                          in England, mid 20th C)
                          Lastly, I offer a definitely good quality book:
                          Pilgrimage to Rome in the Middle Ages by Debra J.
                          Birch, ISSN 0955-2480 by Boydell and Brewer. This
                          originallly sold at $95 locally, but I waited VERY
                          patiently until it was marked down enough to be
                          affordable! Despite the subject, there is good info
                          to glean. Well researched.

                          Christiana de Avochelie

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Jerilyn Winstead
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 21, 2006
                            MODERATOR NOTE:
                            PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST TO THIS LIST
                            THANK YOU

                            Elyn, please please please post some photos!!!!!

                            drooling here

                            Jane