Dutch ovens (was)camp feast suggestions.

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      > I would use small stones instead of sticks. While they will transfer
      > more heat, they won't smolder if you're not paying attention and
      > things get too hot--avoids adding an unintentional smoked flavor. My
      > dutch oven actually came with a metal trivet for such things, so if
      > you can find one of those, they work really well also. It's how I
      > make cakes for breakfast some mornings.
      >
      > Isabeau

      My husband uses a round cake rack covered with aluminum foil for
      baking in dutch ovens at events. It allows air to circulate around the
      baked goods such as bread, pies (both savory and fruit), and other
      pastries. He has found it more stable than using individual sticks or
      stones that will shift if you move the oven.

      Here is his website

      http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/index.html

      and some redacted recipes

      http://www.whirlwind-design.com/ATOC/temperance.html