Re: thanks for the camp feast suggestions.

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      > Someone suggested I could use my dutch oven to reheat the pyes very
      easily if I placed a few sturdy sticks along the bottom to keep the
      pyes away from the direct heat of the metal in the oven...

      I would use small stones instead of sticks. While they will transfer
      more heat, they won't smolder if you're not paying attention and
      things get too hot--avoids adding an unintentional smoked flavor. My
      dutch oven actually came with a metal trivet for such things, so if
      you can find one of those, they work really well also. It's how I
      make cakes for breakfast some mornings.

      Isabeau
    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Ok. I've been super busy and missed the whole camp feast discussion. Sorry.

        In case anyone is interested, I've seen documentation in the German corpus
        (I'm pretty sure it was German, most of the stuff I do is) for using Dutch
        ovens to cook tarts, with neat directions like "put coals on the lid so
        that it browns".

        Cu drag,
        Bogdan

        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        North Dakota State University
        Stevens Hall
        Fargo, ND 58105
        jeffrey.heilveil@...
      • Dawn Malmstrom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          > I would use small stones instead of sticks. While they will transfer
          > more heat, they won't smolder if you're not paying attention and
          > things get too hot--avoids adding an unintentional smoked flavor. My
          > dutch oven actually came with a metal trivet for such things, so if
          > you can find one of those, they work really well also. It's how I
          > make cakes for breakfast some mornings.
          >
          > Isabeau

          My husband uses a round cake rack covered with aluminum foil for
          baking in dutch ovens at events. It allows air to circulate around the
          baked goods such as bread, pies (both savory and fruit), and other
          pastries. He has found it more stable than using individual sticks or
          stones that will shift if you move the oven.

          Here is his website

          http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/index.html

          and some redacted recipes

          http://www.whirlwind-design.com/ATOC/temperance.html