RE: thanks for the camp feast suggestions.

  • llewin@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      To answer your questions, I am by no means a chef but consider myself a proficient cook.

      We will have a campfire as well as camp stove and small propane grill. Prep time was really basically 1 day or a day and a half... although I prepared some pie crusts in advance...

      I was able to get the price raised to 5 dollars a person so I had 75 to work with.

      I decided to go with the following:

      individual sized "Pyes de Pares" (this by the way turned in to a much bigger project than I expected... I am not familiar with baking so it was a learning experience

      mustard greens

      fried chicken cakes

      mashed peas

      I found the last three dishes on the miscellany site and they seem pretty straight forward...

      As I mentioned I've pre-prepped the shells for the pyes and will be prepping and/or cooking everything ahead of time and re-heating at the event site.

      Someone suggested I could use my dutch oven to reheat the pyes very easily if I placed a few sturdy sticks along the bottom to keep the pyes away from the direct heat of the metal in the oven...

      Thanks again very much (and opinions on all of the above would be welcomed always)

      --
      Yours In Service to the Dream,

      Llewin de Wales

      http://www.sca.org/
    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        > Someone suggested I could use my dutch oven to reheat the pyes very
        easily if I placed a few sturdy sticks along the bottom to keep the
        pyes away from the direct heat of the metal in the oven...

        I would use small stones instead of sticks. While they will transfer
        more heat, they won't smolder if you're not paying attention and
        things get too hot--avoids adding an unintentional smoked flavor. My
        dutch oven actually came with a metal trivet for such things, so if
        you can find one of those, they work really well also. It's how I
        make cakes for breakfast some mornings.

        Isabeau
      • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Ok. I've been super busy and missed the whole camp feast discussion. Sorry.

          In case anyone is interested, I've seen documentation in the German corpus
          (I'm pretty sure it was German, most of the stuff I do is) for using Dutch
          ovens to cook tarts, with neat directions like "put coals on the lid so
          that it browns".

          Cu drag,
          Bogdan

          Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
          Postdoctoral Fellow
          Department of Biological Sciences
          North Dakota State University
          Stevens Hall
          Fargo, ND 58105
          jeffrey.heilveil@...
        • Dawn Malmstrom
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            > I would use small stones instead of sticks. While they will transfer
            > more heat, they won't smolder if you're not paying attention and
            > things get too hot--avoids adding an unintentional smoked flavor. My
            > dutch oven actually came with a metal trivet for such things, so if
            > you can find one of those, they work really well also. It's how I
            > make cakes for breakfast some mornings.
            >
            > Isabeau

            My husband uses a round cake rack covered with aluminum foil for
            baking in dutch ovens at events. It allows air to circulate around the
            baked goods such as bread, pies (both savory and fruit), and other
            pastries. He has found it more stable than using individual sticks or
            stones that will shift if you move the oven.

            Here is his website

            http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/index.html

            and some redacted recipes

            http://www.whirlwind-design.com/ATOC/temperance.html