Re: Picnic / feasting while "on campaign" and without the medieval comforts of h

  • thjadewolf
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 7:19 AM
      Llewin said:
      <snip>
      I will be preparing a camp-feast for my household/friends total about
      15 adults/teens/children total and am just starting to throw ideas
      together. I should have around 50 dollars to work with.

      Any ideas? :)
      <snip>

      A lot depends on your facilities. Forgive me if I missed this, but do
      you have a campfire or a camping stove? How much cooking experience
      do you have, and how much time to prepare?

      $50 for 15 people is $3.33 per person. That is low, but possibly
      do-able. My camp budgets $5 per person for dinner, but cooks
      regularly come in under it. Our camp guideline is 1/2 pound meat, 1/2
      pound vegetable, and 1/3 pound starch per person. Note that this is
      calculated to be very generous, as we usually have a couple of guests
      and prefer to have leftovers. Since your group includes children, you
      may even be able to halve those amounts.

      I would suggest, for cheap and easy, a stew, bread (very cheap if made
      at home) and perhaps an additional vegetable on the side.

      Pleyn Delit has many recipies and is user-friendly to flip through.
      My favorite source is Ein Buch von guter spise, 1350 German.
      http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/recipes.html
      Recipe 30 is chicken and pear stew, follow the link in the English
      name for a redaction. Roast the chicken at home, unless you want to
      mess with Dutch ovens in your firepit (not recommended for your first
      try).
      Recipe 31 is peas in caraway-beer-vinegar sauce, simple to make but
      perhaps a bit complex for children's tastes.
      Recipe 79 is mashed carrots, also redacted in the link in the name.
      This is a recipe with a couple of steps but overall not difficult.
      Both vegetables can be totally prepared at home, canned, and reheated,
      or can be made in camp.

      Kunegunde