Re: [Authentic_SCA] Prithee, what be in THY picnic basket?

  • Andrea Hughett
    Message 1 of 12 , May 28, 2006
      Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions on how to
      carry food to a picnic or camp. I found that raw veges
      and nuts travel well wrapped in a napkin...but I bet
      sewing napkin material into bags would work even
      better, since I am less likely to pick up the wrong
      end of the bundle and spew carrots all over the
      campsite. I like the idea of tying another bowl or
      plate over a wooden bowl for softer foods. Oh, and I
      attended a class in how to make leather bottles, and
      learned that I want to buy my leather bottles and
      tankards - I don't like hot wax. But that is another
      option for appropriate foods, and I shall be on the
      lookout for wooden containers with lids.

      As for meat...well, cooked meat could be carried in
      the lidded wooden container. Pastry is a good idea,
      but off my list until I find out how to make pie crust
      without grain. Depending on where I am and why, meat
      might be hunted or transported live, and butchered on
      the spot - but that particular mode doesn't fly well
      in the modern middle ages.

      Dry meat, or some kinds of sausages, would travel
      reasonably well.

      If I were lucky enough, though, to have a glazed
      earthenware container or two, I could use it to
      transport raw meat; and I most likely would have a
      cauldron, which could be washed clean after holding
      raw meat. And sometimes there is the option of buying
      it on site.

      So I guess I have a few ways to go, and I think my
      project for this summer may be concentrating on
      transporting and storing my medieval foods medievally.

      Andrea of Anglespur
      kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
      So many books, so little time!

      http://mail.yahoo.com