Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Picnic / feasting while "on campaign" and without the medieval comforts of home...

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27 10:22 AM
      Quoting llewin@...:

      If you're interested in this sort of thing, you want to find a book
      titled "Early English Meals and Manners" compiled by Frederick J.
      Furnivall in 1894. It is a compilation of various 14th and 15th
      century books ... Subtitled: "John Russell's Boke of Nurture, Wunkyn
      de Worde's Boke of Kervynge, The Boke of curtasye, R. Weste's Booke of
      Demeanor, Seager's Scoole of Vurtue, The Babees Book, Aristotle's A B
      C, Urbanitatis, Stans Puer ad Mensam, The Lytylle Childrenes Lytil
      Boke, for to serve a Lord, Old Symon, The Birched School-Boy, &t, &c
      with some Forewards o Education in Early England." It *is* available
      through ILL.

      > What sorts of fowl were commonly used during the 1400s (or just
      > generally throughout the Middle Ages) and...what modern equivalents
      > have those of you who enjoy cooking found work well as substitutes? I
      > was thinking Gam Hens?

      partriche (partridge), stokdove, chekyne, goos, teele, Mallard, Ospray,
      & also swanne, capon & hen of hawt grees [full plump, goodlie, fat,
      well-fed, in good liking], Feysaunt, partriche, poluer, lapewynk,
      wodcok, Betowre [bittern], Egret, Synte [snipe], and Curlew,
      heyrounsew, Crane, pecok, stork, bustarde, & Shovellewre, Quayle,
      sparrow, larke, litelle, mertinet, pygeon, swalow, thrusche, osulle

      This book, John Russells Book of Nurture, is "recent" enough to be
      English, but old enough that the "letter" "thorn/eth" [yeah, I never
      can remember which one is the "theta" and which one looks like a "p"]
      is used fot "th" -- and "u" is represented by "v" and vice versa. I've
      seen a date for this book, but at the moment, I can't find one.

      "Of quayle / sparow / larke / & litelle / mertinet, pygeoun / swalow /
      thrusche / osulle / ye not forgete, pe legges to ley to your souereyne
      ye not forgete, pe legges to ley to your souereyne ye no lette, and
      afturward pe whyngus if his lust be to etc."

      Jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...