Re: [Authentic_SCA] Velvet

  • Catrijn vanden Westhende
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18, 2006
      Very late reply here, I've been on vacation.

      On 5/11/06, Bookwyrm <bookwyrm.com@...> wrote:
      > Does anybody else know whether or not wool velvet is documentable? Sources?

      I'm pretty sure wool was woven into velvets in period, but don't have
      documentation on hand.

      > Heck, a vendor for 100% silk velvet at less than $100 per metre?
      > (Yes, this is a narrow project. I can get away with buying a quarter
      > metre or less.)

      If it's a small project, you might try going vintage. I deconstructed
      a c. 1930 black silk velvet dress to use for the trim on my most
      recent project, a 1470s V-neck Burgundian.
      http://artsci.wustl.edu/~dlkolbe/qpdress.jpg
      Found it on ebay, very cheap, and bleach-tested a swatch when it got
      here. Lucky for me, it was 100% and very luxurious. If you only
      need narrow widths, don't forget about velvet ribbons, especially
      since their generally shorter pile may be more appropriate.

      > If neither of the above, would cotton be a better choice for
      > authenticity (being a natural fibre, though a cellulose rather than a
      > protein fibre) or would silk-back, synthetic-pile be a better choice?
      > Or all synthetic? A wool/synthetic blend? Does rubber backing really
      > matter if one isn't going to be encasing oneself in it?

      Rubber backing is awful, I hate it. It will affect the drape, and is
      surprisingly hot even in small amounts. I generally think that cotton
      velvets or velveteens provide a closer look to the original materials
      than synthetic pile velvets do. I haven't seen wool velvet in person,
      so I can't really comment on that one.

      - Catrijn
    • elara_drake
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2006
        MODERATOR NOTE - EDITED FOR TOP POSTING. THANK YOU

        Good evening. My paologies for this overly late post (and poor
        spelling, it's been a long couple of months). This site
        https://www.mini-magic.com/ has some very nice fabrics, including
        cotton velveteen, silk backed/rayon pile velvet (good for Devore, akd
        burnout), and 100% silk velvet. Yes, they do differentiate between the
        2. The 100$ silk velvet is about $30/yd US, and I've seen the
        swatches. It appears to be very nice, esp if you're only needing a
        relatively small amount. So far it's the only place I've found
        anywhere that actually has 100% silk, instead of the much more common
        silk/rayon blend. You can order swatches from them to see if it's
        right for you. Good luck on your project!

        Regards

        WhiteRaven - Back to lurking