Re: [Authentic_SCA] Many thanks for the welcome & questions about Pennsic

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2006
      In a message dated 5/14/2006 10:15:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I mentioned that my daughter and I are seriously thinking of
      attending Pennsic this year,I had a few questions.>>

      Good for you for thinking ahead!

      <<- I noticed that there are group registrations and single as well
      because this is our first year and we do not know anyone as yet
      which would be better?>>

      Even if you were going to camp with a group, you would still need to do a
      personal registration as well. Think of it this way: The group registration
      tells the land office that there is a group of people who want to camp
      together and several choices of where they would like to camp, but no idea of the
      size of the group. The single or personal registration that each person needs
      to fill out tells the land office exactly how many people want to camp with
      each group or on their own and is absolutely essential to the correct amount
      of land being allotted to the group.
      As far as if it would be better to camp with a group or on your own, my
      personal feeling is that it is better for people who are new to both the SCA and
      Pennsic to be with a group of more experienced people. The experience can be
      quite overwhelming. Add to that a person who is not familiar with camping
      in general and I would be even more prone to suggest joining a group. Many
      local shires and baronies have a camp that is open to anyone who lives in the
      group area, and that might be a way for you to go. If your group doesn't have
      enough people going to have their own camp, then see if there is a Kingdom
      Populace camp; that at least would have you in with other people from your
      kingdom.

      << Also,do most of the campers use period style
      tents and if so are modern tents frowned upon? I would love to go
      authentic but I have never camped in my entire life. (I know sounds
      stupid) However,I would really like to. My daughter has camped many
      times and attended Outward Bound last summer during hurricane Cindy
      in mtns near Brevard,NC.>>

      Although the number of period tents at Pennsic has increased significantly
      over my 16 years in the SCA, there are still more modern tents used there than
      period ones. Honestly, the main difference between camping in a period tent
      and camping in a modern tent is that the period tent will be more
      comfortable because canvas tents breathe and stay much cooler in the heat. However,
      the cost outlay for a period tent is usually a good bit higher (although it
      will also last longer if cared for properly), and you usually need more storage
      space and more cargo space to accommodate it; they also tend to be heavier to
      lift and a bit more complicated to set up. At this point, I'd suggest a
      good modern tent that is tall enough to stand up in - don't let your daughter
      talk you into a little backpacker's tent. I've done SCA camping, including a
      number of Pennsics, in a 4 foot high, 7 foot diameter dome tent and believe
      me, being able to stand up to get dressed in garb is so huge an increase in
      comfort you'd never believe it. Also, don't go for a "2-man tent". It is
      designed for 2 people and an absolute minimum of gear and for doing nothing but
      sleeping in; you'll need more space to actually live in it with someone for a
      week. My husband and I used "8-man tents", I believe, for the two of us. At
      one point we got a new tent that was only a few feet smaller than the one
      we'd been using before and we were ready to kill each other by the end of
      Pennsic because of the lack of space - it's the only time I've ever wanted to leave
      Pennsic early. If you decide that a) you like the SCA and b) you like or
      can at least tolerate camping several times a year, then look into a period
      tent.

      If you can, attend at least one camping event closer to home before Pennsic.
      The experience will be invaluable.

      Brangwayna Morgan
      Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
      Lancaster, PA