Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Spinning thread

  • Maggie Forest
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4 1:26 PM
      speaking from a Scandinavian perspective here and generalising
      heavily:

      >Spinning requires a drop spindle or at best a spinning wheel. Weaving
      >fabric of any width requires a *honking* big loom -- not the sort of
      >thing you have room for in a one- or two- room hovel :-)

      it doesn't need to be honking. A warp-weighted loom takes up little
      room and we know was a feature of many farms for a very long time -
      right up to modern times in places like western Norway. During the
      early period most fabric was home-produced - as the economy changed
      and the introduction of the horizontal loom industrialised the
      production of cloth, more clothing fabric was purchased as prices
      came down and availability went up, but things like blankets and
      packing cloth were still produced at home. Perhaps the fabric for the
      sunday best was purchased at the local market, or perhaps even
      ready-made, but undoubtedly fabric ultimately meant for every-day
      clothing was also produced on the farms.

      When things were utterly worn out, fabric was used for all sorts of
      other things; insulation in walls, ships, as toilet paper, as
      footwrappings (Bocksten man had a part of an old tunic wrapped around
      his foot), as padding, remade into childrens' clothing, nappies...
      There were no paper products around like today, and just like
      horn/antler was that day's plastic, fabric rags were the paper towels
      of the time.

      The urban situation is a bit different, and the urbanisation somewhat
      coincides with the industrialisation. I think there's a stronger
      stratification in the urban setting, but you also have to remember
      that there was a flourishing trade in second-hand clothing, and while
      your servant-classes probably couldn't afford to buy new fabric or
      clothing, they a) were usually given clothing as part of their
      payment, and b) had access to second-hand traders. I think it more
      likely that they got their clothing that way than from reconstituting
      old clothes themselves.

      >But that's a good point, did people who spun their own yard then farm
      >it out to someone with a loom? or did they just make not-very-wide
      >strips of cloth on a tabletop loom of some kind?

      Spinning was contracted out - the professional weavers purchased the
      work. So it worked the other way around.

      /maggie
    • kelyn_of_broceliande
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4 1:58 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
        <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
        > Spinning requires a drop spindle or at best a spinning wheel. Weaving
        > fabric of any width requires a *honking* big loom -- not the sort of
        > thing you have room for in a one- or two- room hovel :-)
        >
        > But that's a good point, did people who spun their own yard then farm
        > it out to someone with a loom? or did they just make not-very-wide
        > strips of cloth on a tabletop loom of some kind?

        They set the loom up outside, where they had more space and better
        light to see by, too.

        -- Kelyn
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4 2:42 PM
          At 12:01 AM -0500 5/4/06, Justin wrote:
          >Knitting is as old as mankind, weaving too,

          Um, not quite. Weaving is quite old, but humans had clothes before
          weaving (think animal skins, bark cloth etc.).

          Knitting, on the other hand, was a "hot" new technology in the Middle
          Ages -- probably invented somewhere in the Mediterranean area after
          the Moslem conquest (the earliest dated pieces seem to be around the
          9th to 11th centuries). There were other textile technologies earlier
          that may _look_ like knitting or crocheting, but aren't either one.

          >do you think it was a guild
          >issue that had professionals making fabric? I don't think it could have been
          >a know-how issue that would prevent the masses from making their own clothes
          >and fabric.

          No, as I understand it the primary reason for ordinary people not
          doing their own weaving is that a loom was a big capital investment.
          Production looms for making yardage were also big and took up space,
          and the sort of horizontal-beam loom used "industrially" in the
          Middle Ages was something of a high-tech instrument requiring
          specialized parts. People certainly understood how weaving was done,
          and had simple "heddle" looms for making belts and straps, but not
          usually anything big enough to make clothes out of.

          People do, on the other hand, seem to have done spinning for
          themselves fairly often. My understanding is that it was fairly
          common for people to spin up the yarn for a blanket, say, and take it
          to a weaver who would weave it into cloth either for money or for a
          percentage of the spun yarn as their fee.

          Another often overlooked factor is that people in much of medieval
          Europe had ways to buy used clothing -- cities in particular had
          thriving markets in secondhand clothes. So all but the poorest could
          purchase _some_ clothing.

          >I would think that it would be difficult for poor serfs and peasants locked
          >in communal strip farming would be able to go out and get fabric, wouldn't
          >it be more feasable to have access to raw wool or flax and then make the
          >stuff your self during the long winters when all the boys are off fighting
          >wars?

          On the other hand, they demonstrably _did_ go to local markets and
          fairs within a few miles of their homes, on a pretty regular basis,
          where they would indeed have been able to buy cloth. I suspect a lot
          of less well-off people may have _sewed_ the clothing for themselves
          and their families, but weaving their own cloth for clothing is much
          less likely.

          The evidence from American pioneer and European farm families in
          later centuries, BTW, is that they may indeed have been weaving
          _some_ cloth at home, but that it was almost entirely for furnishings
          and home textiles rather than clothing -- things like towels,
          blankets, and linens.

          O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
        • Justin
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4 5:07 PM

            > >But that's a good point, did people who spun their own yard then farm
            > >it out to someone with a loom? or did they just make not-very-wide
            > >strips of cloth on a tabletop loom of some kind?
            >
            > Spinning was contracted out - the professional weavers purchased the
            > work. So it worked the other way around.

            Do you think that the need for utility rags kept people from deconstructing
            and respinning the fibers of clothing into new thread or yarn for making new
            fabric or knitting (respectively) ?

            -J

          • Beth and Bob Matney
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5 8:52 AM
              >From: "Justin" warriorneedsfood@...
              >Date: Wed May 3, 2006 10:06pm(PDT)
              >
              >Knitting is as old as mankind, weaving too, do you think it was a guild
              >issue that had professionals making fabric?

              Naalbinding and sprang examples exist since at least late Iron Age (Roman)
              times in N. Europe. Knitting, however, is much later. The earliest that I
              have heard of in N. Europe (Baltic) is 13th C.

              It is not a guild issue that restricted weaving to professionals through
              most of the SCA period. Guilds were relatively late (with the horizontal
              loom) and were an urban organization.

              >I would think that it would be difficult for poor serfs and peasants
              >locked in communal strip farming would be able to go out and get fabric,
              >wouldn't it be more feasable to have access to raw wool or flax and then
              >make the stuff your self during the long winters when all the boys are off
              >fighting wars?

              There are two distinct periods to weaving wide goods and the social
              structures relating to it in N. Europe:
              1) The time of the warp-weighted and two-beam looms: at this time weaving
              is a women's and primarily domestic craft. Excess production and
              specialties were traded (in some cases extreme distances) but were usually
              traded as garments rather than "yard goods". These included tunics from
              Egypt ("Coptic") and the famous "Frisian Cloaks". Charlemaine ordered
              cloaks from England.
              2) The time of the horizontal loom: We don't know exactly when this loom
              came to N. Europe but at least by the 13th C. (some authors put it as early
              as the 9th C). It was a man's urban trade and production of yard goods was
              the goal. This lead to the guilds.
              Women and girls spun. They did it every free minute that could be found. If
              they did not have fiber of their own, they were hired at piece-work and
              were supplied. Serious source of family income in urban and rural areas.

              >I know some fabrics were imported, but I'm talking about day to day wear of
              >the lower and middle classes mainly. I'm looking for books on the matter
              >because it is my current obsession.

              After the horizontal loom, large quantities of cloth were trades
              international distances. The cheaper grades of cloth were usually sold
              closer to production, but starting in the 14th C increasing amounts of low
              cost fustians (lined warp/ cotton weft) were produced in N. Italy (later in
              Germany) and shipped everywhere. I strongly recommend that you read

              The Italian Cotton Industry in the Later Middle Ages, 1100 - 1600.
              Mazzaoui, Maureen Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1981 ISBN: 0521230950.

              There are many books examining the textile industries of the middle ages
              from an economics viewpoint. Most research has focused on the luxury trade
              (ie silk and high grade wool). If you want some titles, let me know.

              Beth of Walnutvale