Re: Tudor food and a TOTAL SUBJECT CHANGE to Spinning thread.

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle H. Gray" <gray@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 3 May 2006, Justin wrote:

      [...] but my girlfriend
      > > suggested that if it was a rarer material or an unusual color
      > > of dye they probably did thread reclaimation and spun up and
      > > wove all new fabric.
      [...]
      > > It occurs to me this could be the main source of all the crazy
      > > linen/wool blends we keep reading about but have difficulty
      > > defining.

      > Wool, maybe -- I don't work old wool enough to know.
      >
      > Linen, probably not. The fibers break down over time (which is a
      > benefit to me, since I'm collecting linen rags for papermaking
      > experiments), so I don't think that respinning fibers from the
      > old cloth would be that useful.

      I know when I was a child (back before the earth cooled, as my mother
      used to say) you could buy garments made from "reprocessed" wool.
      IIRC, this was wool from old garments which had been processed back
      into fiber, respun, and woven into new cloth. This is why you get
      labels on things saying "100% *virgin* wool" (ta-da! whoop de do!) to
      indicate that none of the fiber in the garment, blanket, whatever, is
      reprocessed. Actually haven't seen the reprocessed label in a while,
      still see the virgin wool label.

      Reprocessed wool was scratchier and less desirable, but cheaper.

      Were the blends we are discussing here, *spun* blends (linen and wool
      spun into one yarn) or wool one way and linen the other (warp/weft?) I
      knew that about linsey woolsey for about 5 seconds once :-)

      If spun together, blending might make the yarn, and hence the fabric,
      stronger -- since re-carded wool would have shorter fibers and be less
      strong.

      Gillian [talking through her hat] Durham
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        Justin wrote:

        >Now back in the day, the
        >middle classes could buy a new outfit once in a while I suppose, and the
        >poorer classes had to weave and sew new clothes them selves.

        Actually, I believe _weaving_ was done by professionals for most of the
        middle ages.

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        -----------------------------
        Habeo metrum - musicamque,
        hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
        -Georgeus Gershwinus
        -----------------------------
      • Alexis
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          <snip>>
          > I found that idea facinating and I was wondering if there was any
          evidence
          > to this in any of the surviving records. I occurs to me this could
          be the
          > main source of all the crazy linen/wool blends we keep reading
          about but
          > have difficulty defining.
          >
          > Any thoughts? Information? Web links out there?
          >
          > -J
          My thoughts are that it would be more trouble than it would be worth
          to pick apart wool or linen and reweave it. Far more likely that the
          garment was altered or remade into something else. Given the textile
          finds of seams and ends in middens, this has some potential. See MOL
          Cloth and Clothing.

          Silk might be a different matter. Given how rare and costly it was,
          you might pull apart cloth and remake the threads into ribbands. Or
          keep the treads for embroidery.

          I know gold was reclaimed. Am thinking that heavily embroidered
          areas could easily be appliqued on a new outfit.

          BTW, am more familiar w/ textile production than costuming.

          YMMV,
          Cassandra of Glastonbury
        • kelyn_of_broceliande
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
            <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
            > I know when I was a child (back before the earth cooled, as my
            mother
            > used to say) you could buy garments made from "reprocessed" wool.
            > IIRC, this was wool from old garments which had been processed back
            > into fiber, respun, and woven into new cloth. This is why you get
            > labels on things saying "100% *virgin* wool" (ta-da! whoop de do!)
            > indicate that none of the fiber in the garment, blanket, whatever,
            is
            > reprocessed. Actually haven't seen the reprocessed label in a
            while,
            > still see the virgin wool label.

            The first time I'd seen a reprocessed label was on a fairly new Army
            blanket a couple years ago. Had to explain to my mother
            that "contains reprocessed fibers" is NOT the same as "not pure
            wool."

            > Reprocessed wool was scratchier and less desirable, but cheaper.
            >
            > Were the blends we are discussing here, *spun* blends (linen and
            wool
            > spun into one yarn) or wool one way and linen the other
            (warp/weft?) I
            > knew that about linsey woolsey for about 5 seconds once :-)

            I THINK linsey-woolsy is linen one way and wool the other, but I
            can't recall where I read that and I may be confusing it with
            something else.

            -- Kelyn
          • msgilliandurham
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2006
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "kelyn_of_broceliande"
              <kelyn_of_broceliande@...> wrote:
              > I THINK linsey-woolsy is linen one way and wool the other, but I
              > can't recall where I read that and I may be confusing it with
              > something else.

              According to the Hamilton Dry Goods page (and I trust them to know)
              " What is Linsey-Woolsey? Our Linsey-Woolsey is a reproduction of an
              original 200-year old fabric and it has flax-linen threads in one
              direction and wool threads in the other direction."

              So the linen isn't spun *with* the wool, to make that yarn stronger.

              Gillian Durham