Tudor food and a TOTAL SUBJECT CHANGE to Spinning thread.

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006

      > I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
      > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
      > goes into things.

      For the most part I agree with you, when oil become $5000 a barrel and we
      all have to walk to work and grow our own food, nothing, I mean NOTHING will
      keep me from my hamburger addiction, even if I have to raise the burger
      myself from a calf.

      And actually, I really like the idea of getting my eggs from the backyard.

      Maybe it's the food puppetering that is making me wierd...

      **** SUBJECT CHANGE because we are getting off topic ****

      My girlfriend spins her own wool thread. She is more into spinning and
      making of yarn then the actual weaving of garments. We were talking about
      how most Medievals wore the same outfit day in and day out until they were
      literally falling apart and NEEDED to be replaced. Now back in the day, the
      middle classes could buy a new outfit once in a while I suppose, and the
      poorer classes had to weave and sew new clothes them selves. I was talking
      about what they did with the old clothes and made rags and such, but my
      girlfriend suggested that if it was a rarer material or an unusual color of
      dye they probably did thread reclaimation and spun up and wove all new
      fabric.

      I found that idea facinating and I was wondering if there was any evidence
      to this in any of the surviving records. I occurs to me this could be the
      main source of all the crazy linen/wool blends we keep reading about but
      have difficulty defining.

      Any thoughts? Information? Web links out there?

      -J

    • Lyle H. Gray
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        On Wed, 3 May 2006, Justin wrote:

        > My girlfriend spins her own wool thread. She is more into
        > spinning and making of yarn then the actual weaving of
        > garments. We were talking about how most Medievals wore the
        > same outfit day in and day out until they were literally
        > falling apart and NEEDED to be replaced. Now back in the day,
        > the middle classes could buy a new outfit once in a while I
        > suppose, and the poorer classes had to weave and sew new
        > clothes them selves. I was talking about what they did with
        > the old clothes and made rags and such, but my girlfriend
        > suggested that if it was a rarer material or an unusual color
        > of dye they probably did thread reclaimation and spun up and
        > wove all new fabric.
        >
        > I found that idea facinating and I was wondering if there was
        > any evidence to this in any of the surviving records. I
        > occurs to me this could be the main source of all the crazy
        > linen/wool blends we keep reading about but have difficulty
        > defining.
        >
        > Any thoughts? Information? Web links out there?

        Thoughts, but no docs to back it up...

        Wool, maybe -- I don't work old wool enough to know.

        Linen, probably not. The fibers break down over time (which is a
        benefit to me, since I'm collecting linen rags for papermaking
        experiments), so I don't think that respinning fibers from the
        old cloth would be that useful.

        Regards,
        Lyle FitzWilliam

        --
        Lyle H. Gray
        gray@... -- text only, please
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle H. Gray" <gray@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, 3 May 2006, Justin wrote:

          [...] but my girlfriend
          > > suggested that if it was a rarer material or an unusual color
          > > of dye they probably did thread reclaimation and spun up and
          > > wove all new fabric.
          [...]
          > > It occurs to me this could be the main source of all the crazy
          > > linen/wool blends we keep reading about but have difficulty
          > > defining.

          > Wool, maybe -- I don't work old wool enough to know.
          >
          > Linen, probably not. The fibers break down over time (which is a
          > benefit to me, since I'm collecting linen rags for papermaking
          > experiments), so I don't think that respinning fibers from the
          > old cloth would be that useful.

          I know when I was a child (back before the earth cooled, as my mother
          used to say) you could buy garments made from "reprocessed" wool.
          IIRC, this was wool from old garments which had been processed back
          into fiber, respun, and woven into new cloth. This is why you get
          labels on things saying "100% *virgin* wool" (ta-da! whoop de do!) to
          indicate that none of the fiber in the garment, blanket, whatever, is
          reprocessed. Actually haven't seen the reprocessed label in a while,
          still see the virgin wool label.

          Reprocessed wool was scratchier and less desirable, but cheaper.

          Were the blends we are discussing here, *spun* blends (linen and wool
          spun into one yarn) or wool one way and linen the other (warp/weft?) I
          knew that about linsey woolsey for about 5 seconds once :-)

          If spun together, blending might make the yarn, and hence the fabric,
          stronger -- since re-carded wool would have shorter fibers and be less
          strong.

          Gillian [talking through her hat] Durham
        • Adele de Maisieres
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            Justin wrote:

            >Now back in the day, the
            >middle classes could buy a new outfit once in a while I suppose, and the
            >poorer classes had to weave and sew new clothes them selves.

            Actually, I believe _weaving_ was done by professionals for most of the
            middle ages.

            --
            Adele de Maisieres

            -----------------------------
            Habeo metrum - musicamque,
            hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
            -Georgeus Gershwinus
            -----------------------------
          • Alexis
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2006
              <snip>>
              > I found that idea facinating and I was wondering if there was any
              evidence
              > to this in any of the surviving records. I occurs to me this could
              be the
              > main source of all the crazy linen/wool blends we keep reading
              about but
              > have difficulty defining.
              >
              > Any thoughts? Information? Web links out there?
              >
              > -J
              My thoughts are that it would be more trouble than it would be worth
              to pick apart wool or linen and reweave it. Far more likely that the
              garment was altered or remade into something else. Given the textile
              finds of seams and ends in middens, this has some potential. See MOL
              Cloth and Clothing.

              Silk might be a different matter. Given how rare and costly it was,
              you might pull apart cloth and remake the threads into ribbands. Or
              keep the treads for embroidery.

              I know gold was reclaimed. Am thinking that heavily embroidered
              areas could easily be appliqued on a new outfit.

              BTW, am more familiar w/ textile production than costuming.

              YMMV,
              Cassandra of Glastonbury
            • kelyn_of_broceliande
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
                <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:
                > I know when I was a child (back before the earth cooled, as my
                mother
                > used to say) you could buy garments made from "reprocessed" wool.
                > IIRC, this was wool from old garments which had been processed back
                > into fiber, respun, and woven into new cloth. This is why you get
                > labels on things saying "100% *virgin* wool" (ta-da! whoop de do!)
                > indicate that none of the fiber in the garment, blanket, whatever,
                is
                > reprocessed. Actually haven't seen the reprocessed label in a
                while,
                > still see the virgin wool label.

                The first time I'd seen a reprocessed label was on a fairly new Army
                blanket a couple years ago. Had to explain to my mother
                that "contains reprocessed fibers" is NOT the same as "not pure
                wool."

                > Reprocessed wool was scratchier and less desirable, but cheaper.
                >
                > Were the blends we are discussing here, *spun* blends (linen and
                wool
                > spun into one yarn) or wool one way and linen the other
                (warp/weft?) I
                > knew that about linsey woolsey for about 5 seconds once :-)

                I THINK linsey-woolsy is linen one way and wool the other, but I
                can't recall where I read that and I may be confusing it with
                something else.

                -- Kelyn
              • msgilliandurham
                Message 7 of 7 , May 5, 2006
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "kelyn_of_broceliande"
                  <kelyn_of_broceliande@...> wrote:
                  > I THINK linsey-woolsy is linen one way and wool the other, but I
                  > can't recall where I read that and I may be confusing it with
                  > something else.

                  According to the Hamilton Dry Goods page (and I trust them to know)
                  " What is Linsey-Woolsey? Our Linsey-Woolsey is a reproduction of an
                  original 200-year old fabric and it has flax-linen threads in one
                  direction and wool threads in the other direction."

                  So the linen isn't spun *with* the wool, to make that yarn stronger.

                  Gillian Durham