Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006

      > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
      > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
      > event.

      Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
      food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
      do eat them though.

      -J

    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
        kind of
        > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
        chickens, I
        > do eat them though.

        It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
        chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
        pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
        stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
        Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
        eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
        name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
        you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
        goes into things.

        My two cents,
        Isabeau
      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
          > kind of
          >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
          > chickens, I
          >> do eat them though.
          >
          > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
          > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
          > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
          > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
          > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
          > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
          > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
          > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
          > goes into things.

          I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
          my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
          who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
          them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

          I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
          to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

          Laurensa