Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Lyle H. Gray
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 8:43 AM
      On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

      > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
      > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
      > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
      > just to see if it really was possible.

      >sigh<

      Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

      No, we didn't do it on purpose.

      Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

      > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
      > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
      > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
      > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
      > plucking experience).

      Lucky you. ;-)

      Regards,
      Lyle
      (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

      --
      Lyle H. Gray
      gray@... -- text only, please
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 10:08 AM

        > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
        > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
        > event.

        Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
        food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
        do eat them though.

        -J

      • Lady_Lark_Azure
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3 12:35 PM
          > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
          kind of
          > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
          chickens, I
          > do eat them though.

          It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
          chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
          pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
          stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
          Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
          eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
          name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
          you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
          goes into things.

          My two cents,
          Isabeau
        • Dianne & Greg Stucki
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3 1:35 PM
            >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
            > kind of
            >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
            > chickens, I
            >> do eat them though.
            >
            > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
            > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
            > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
            > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
            > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
            > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
            > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
            > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
            > goes into things.

            I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
            my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
            who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
            them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

            I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
            to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

            Laurensa