Re: NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006
      > I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken,
      filled
      > it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole
      clucked
      > with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.
      >
      > -J

      While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live chicken, I can
      see several people trying to get an already dead one to cluck--not at
      an event, but in their own home, just to see if it really was
      possible. Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
      they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
      event. Even after having helped my parents raise them, and knowing
      what nasty little buggers they can be, I'd be alarmed by torturing the
      poor things for amusement too.

      I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments with ones
      already neatly packaged from the supermarket (since, lets face it,
      most of us (myself unfortunately excluded) have been spared the whole
      killing, dressing, plucking experience).

      Isabeau
    • Lyle H. Gray
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

        > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
        > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
        > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
        > just to see if it really was possible.

        >sigh<

        Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

        No, we didn't do it on purpose.

        Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

        > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
        > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
        > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
        > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
        > plucking experience).

        Lucky you. ;-)

        Regards,
        Lyle
        (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

        --
        Lyle H. Gray
        gray@... -- text only, please
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006

          > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
          > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
          > event.

          Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
          food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
          do eat them though.

          -J

        • Lady_Lark_Azure
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2006
            > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
            kind of
            > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
            chickens, I
            > do eat them though.

            It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
            chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
            pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
            stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
            Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
            eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
            name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
            you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
            goes into things.

            My two cents,
            Isabeau
          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2006
              >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
              > kind of
              >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
              > chickens, I
              >> do eat them though.
              >
              > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
              > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
              > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
              > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
              > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
              > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
              > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
              > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
              > goes into things.

              I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
              my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
              who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
              them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

              I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
              to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

              Laurensa