Re: [Authentic_SCA] NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Megan & Dave
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2006
      I can see it without a subscription. Also, if you are not adverse, bugmenot.com has log ins for most newspapers.

      Gwenhyfar

      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        > I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken,
        filled
        > it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole
        clucked
        > with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.
        >
        > -J

        While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live chicken, I can
        see several people trying to get an already dead one to cluck--not at
        an event, but in their own home, just to see if it really was
        possible. Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
        they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
        event. Even after having helped my parents raise them, and knowing
        what nasty little buggers they can be, I'd be alarmed by torturing the
        poor things for amusement too.

        I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments with ones
        already neatly packaged from the supermarket (since, lets face it,
        most of us (myself unfortunately excluded) have been spared the whole
        killing, dressing, plucking experience).

        Isabeau
      • Lyle H. Gray
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

          > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
          > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
          > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
          > just to see if it really was possible.

          >sigh<

          Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

          No, we didn't do it on purpose.

          Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

          > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
          > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
          > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
          > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
          > plucking experience).

          Lucky you. ;-)

          Regards,
          Lyle
          (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

          --
          Lyle H. Gray
          gray@... -- text only, please
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2006

            > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
            > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
            > event.

            Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
            food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
            do eat them though.

            -J

          • Lady_Lark_Azure
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2006
              > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
              kind of
              > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
              chickens, I
              > do eat them though.

              It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
              chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
              pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
              stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
              Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
              eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
              name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
              you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
              goes into things.

              My two cents,
              Isabeau
            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                > kind of
                >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                > chickens, I
                >> do eat them though.
                >
                > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                > goes into things.

                I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
                my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
                who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
                them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

                I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
                to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

                Laurensa