Re: [Authentic_SCA] NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Margaret N
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2006
      Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

      > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
      >
      > Isabeau
      >
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

      Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

      Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
      over Tudor food.
    • Megan & Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2006
        I can see it without a subscription. Also, if you are not adverse, bugmenot.com has log ins for most newspapers.

        Gwenhyfar

        > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
        >
        > Isabeau
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

        Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

        Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
        over Tudor food.

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score

      • Lady_Lark_Azure
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          > I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken,
          filled
          > it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole
          clucked
          > with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.
          >
          > -J

          While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live chicken, I can
          see several people trying to get an already dead one to cluck--not at
          an event, but in their own home, just to see if it really was
          possible. Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
          they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
          event. Even after having helped my parents raise them, and knowing
          what nasty little buggers they can be, I'd be alarmed by torturing the
          poor things for amusement too.

          I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments with ones
          already neatly packaged from the supermarket (since, lets face it,
          most of us (myself unfortunately excluded) have been spared the whole
          killing, dressing, plucking experience).

          Isabeau
        • Lyle H. Gray
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2006
            On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

            > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
            > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
            > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
            > just to see if it really was possible.

            >sigh<

            Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

            No, we didn't do it on purpose.

            Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

            > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
            > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
            > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
            > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
            > plucking experience).

            Lucky you. ;-)

            Regards,
            Lyle
            (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

            --
            Lyle H. Gray
            gray@... -- text only, please
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2006

              > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
              > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
              > event.

              Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
              food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
              do eat them though.

              -J

            • Lady_Lark_Azure
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                kind of
                > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                chickens, I
                > do eat them though.

                It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                goes into things.

                My two cents,
                Isabeau
              • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                  >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                  > kind of
                  >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                  > chickens, I
                  >> do eat them though.
                  >
                  > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                  > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                  > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                  > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                  > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                  > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                  > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                  > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                  > goes into things.

                  I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
                  my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
                  who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
                  them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

                  I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
                  to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

                  Laurensa