Re: NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "glaukopisathene"
      <phoenissa@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
      > as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)
      >

      > Vittoria

      I liked his reaction to the stuff in the Vivendier. The repeated "Oh,
      my God!" was particularly effective. :) The "not that I'd ever go to
      the extreme of trying it" comment made me immediately think "well,
      obviously you're not SCAdian!"

      Isabeau
    • Justin
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2006

        > > Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
        > > as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)
        > >

        > I liked his reaction to the stuff in the Vivendier. The repeated "Oh,
        > my God!" was particularly effective. :) The "not that I'd ever go to
        > the extreme of trying it" comment made me immediately think "well,
        > obviously you're not SCAdian!"

        I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken, filled
        it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole clucked
        with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.

        -J

      • Margaret N
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2006
          Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

          > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
          >
          > Isabeau
          >
          > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

          Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

          Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
          over Tudor food.
        • Megan & Dave
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2006
            I can see it without a subscription. Also, if you are not adverse, bugmenot.com has log ins for most newspapers.

            Gwenhyfar

            > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
            >
            > Isabeau
            >
            > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

            Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

            Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
            over Tudor food.

            This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

            Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score

          • Lady_Lark_Azure
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2006
              > I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken,
              filled
              > it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole
              clucked
              > with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.
              >
              > -J

              While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live chicken, I can
              see several people trying to get an already dead one to cluck--not at
              an event, but in their own home, just to see if it really was
              possible. Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
              they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
              event. Even after having helped my parents raise them, and knowing
              what nasty little buggers they can be, I'd be alarmed by torturing the
              poor things for amusement too.

              I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments with ones
              already neatly packaged from the supermarket (since, lets face it,
              most of us (myself unfortunately excluded) have been spared the whole
              killing, dressing, plucking experience).

              Isabeau
            • Lyle H. Gray
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

                > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
                > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
                > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
                > just to see if it really was possible.

                >sigh<

                Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

                No, we didn't do it on purpose.

                Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

                > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
                > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
                > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
                > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
                > plucking experience).

                Lucky you. ;-)

                Regards,
                Lyle
                (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

                --
                Lyle H. Gray
                gray@... -- text only, please
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2006

                  > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
                  > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
                  > event.

                  Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
                  food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
                  do eat them though.

                  -J

                • Lady_Lark_Azure
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                    > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                    kind of
                    > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                    chickens, I
                    > do eat them though.

                    It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                    chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                    pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                    stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                    Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                    eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                    name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                    you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                    goes into things.

                    My two cents,
                    Isabeau
                  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                      >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                      > kind of
                      >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                      > chickens, I
                      >> do eat them though.
                      >
                      > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                      > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                      > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                      > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                      > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                      > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                      > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                      > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                      > goes into things.

                      I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
                      my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
                      who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
                      them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

                      I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
                      to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

                      Laurensa