Re: NY Times article on Tudor food

  • glaukopisathene
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2006
      Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
      as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)

      Vittoria

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
      <jenniferanne21@...> wrote:

      > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
      >
      > Isabeau
      >
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "glaukopisathene"
        <phoenissa@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
        > as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)
        >

        > Vittoria

        I liked his reaction to the stuff in the Vivendier. The repeated "Oh,
        my God!" was particularly effective. :) The "not that I'd ever go to
        the extreme of trying it" comment made me immediately think "well,
        obviously you're not SCAdian!"

        Isabeau
      • Justin
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2006

          > > Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
          > > as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)
          > >

          > I liked his reaction to the stuff in the Vivendier. The repeated "Oh,
          > my God!" was particularly effective. :) The "not that I'd ever go to
          > the extreme of trying it" comment made me immediately think "well,
          > obviously you're not SCAdian!"

          I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken, filled
          it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole clucked
          with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.

          -J

        • Margaret N
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2006
            Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

            > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
            >
            > Isabeau
            >
            > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

            Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

            Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
            over Tudor food.
          • Megan & Dave
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2006
              I can see it without a subscription. Also, if you are not adverse, bugmenot.com has log ins for most newspapers.

              Gwenhyfar

              > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
              >
              > Isabeau
              >
              > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

              Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

              Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
              over Tudor food.

              This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

              Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score

            • Lady_Lark_Azure
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                > I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken,
                filled
                > it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole
                clucked
                > with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.
                >
                > -J

                While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live chicken, I can
                see several people trying to get an already dead one to cluck--not at
                an event, but in their own home, just to see if it really was
                possible. Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
                they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
                event. Even after having helped my parents raise them, and knowing
                what nasty little buggers they can be, I'd be alarmed by torturing the
                poor things for amusement too.

                I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments with ones
                already neatly packaged from the supermarket (since, lets face it,
                most of us (myself unfortunately excluded) have been spared the whole
                killing, dressing, plucking experience).

                Isabeau
              • Lyle H. Gray
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                  On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

                  > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
                  > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
                  > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
                  > just to see if it really was possible.

                  >sigh<

                  Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

                  No, we didn't do it on purpose.

                  Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

                  > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
                  > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
                  > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
                  > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
                  > plucking experience).

                  Lucky you. ;-)

                  Regards,
                  Lyle
                  (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

                  --
                  Lyle H. Gray
                  gray@... -- text only, please
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2006

                    > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
                    > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
                    > event.

                    Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
                    food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
                    do eat them though.

                    -J

                  • Lady_Lark_Azure
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                      > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                      kind of
                      > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                      chickens, I
                      > do eat them though.

                      It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                      chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                      pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                      stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                      Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                      eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                      name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                      you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                      goes into things.

                      My two cents,
                      Isabeau
                    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                        >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                        > kind of
                        >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                        > chickens, I
                        >> do eat them though.
                        >
                        > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                        > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                        > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                        > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                        > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                        > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                        > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                        > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                        > goes into things.

                        I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
                        my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
                        who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
                        them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

                        I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
                        to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

                        Laurensa