NY Times article on Tudor food

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 1:48 PM
      NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.

      Isabeau

      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html
    • glaukopisathene
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2 10:10 AM
        Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
        as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)

        Vittoria

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2 12:34 PM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "glaukopisathene"
          <phoenissa@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
          > as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)
          >

          > Vittoria

          I liked his reaction to the stuff in the Vivendier. The repeated "Oh,
          my God!" was particularly effective. :) The "not that I'd ever go to
          the extreme of trying it" comment made me immediately think "well,
          obviously you're not SCAdian!"

          Isabeau
        • Justin
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2 12:44 PM

            > > Thanks for sharing! I love that the author describes the food
            > > as "nouvelle ancienne cuisine"...that's fantastic. :-)
            > >

            > I liked his reaction to the stuff in the Vivendier. The repeated "Oh,
            > my God!" was particularly effective. :) The "not that I'd ever go to
            > the extreme of trying it" comment made me immediately think "well,
            > obviously you're not SCAdian!"

            I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken, filled
            it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole clucked
            with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.

            -J

          • Margaret N
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2 3:40 PM
              Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

              > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
              >
              > Isabeau
              >
              > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

              Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

              Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
              over Tudor food.
            • Megan & Dave
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2 6:34 PM
                I can see it without a subscription. Also, if you are not adverse, bugmenot.com has log ins for most newspapers.

                Gwenhyfar

                > NY Times article on Tudor food. Thought this would amuse.
                >
                > Isabeau
                >
                > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/magazine/30food.html

                Er, I'd like to read it, but have no subscription. :(

                Margaret Northwode, who'd love to hear an NYC food writer learn religion
                over Tudor food.

                This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score

              • Lady_Lark_Azure
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3 8:19 AM
                  > I don't know.. If I attended a feast where they tortured a chicken,
                  filled
                  > it with steamed mercury, then paraded it around while the neck hole
                  clucked
                  > with bubbling sulfur I'd be more then a little alarmed.
                  >
                  > -J

                  While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live chicken, I can
                  see several people trying to get an already dead one to cluck--not at
                  an event, but in their own home, just to see if it really was
                  possible. Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
                  they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
                  event. Even after having helped my parents raise them, and knowing
                  what nasty little buggers they can be, I'd be alarmed by torturing the
                  poor things for amusement too.

                  I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments with ones
                  already neatly packaged from the supermarket (since, lets face it,
                  most of us (myself unfortunately excluded) have been spared the whole
                  killing, dressing, plucking experience).

                  Isabeau
                • Lyle H. Gray
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3 8:43 AM
                    On Wed, 3 May 2006, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

                    > While I can't see anyone I know dealing with the live
                    > chicken, I can see several people trying to get an already
                    > dead one to cluck--not at an event, but in their own home,
                    > just to see if it really was possible.

                    >sigh<

                    Yes, it really is possible to get a dead chicken to cluck.

                    No, we didn't do it on purpose.

                    Don't ask; you _really_ don't want to know.

                    > I should have clarified that I was thinking of experiments
                    > with ones already neatly packaged from the supermarket
                    > (since, lets face it, most of us (myself unfortunately
                    > excluded) have been spared the whole killing, dressing,
                    > plucking experience).

                    Lucky you. ;-)

                    Regards,
                    Lyle
                    (raised on a farm that had 3,000 chickens at one time)

                    --
                    Lyle H. Gray
                    gray@... -- text only, please
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3 10:08 AM

                      > Of course, given the chemicals involved, if it did work
                      > they'd probably then try to figure out a foodsafe way to do it for an
                      > event.

                      Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that kind of
                      food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with chickens, I
                      do eat them though.

                      -J

                    • Lady_Lark_Azure
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3 12:35 PM
                        > Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                        kind of
                        > food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                        chickens, I
                        > do eat them though.

                        It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                        chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                        pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                        stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                        Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                        eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                        name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                        you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                        goes into things.

                        My two cents,
                        Isabeau
                      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 3 1:35 PM
                          >> Grisly. I'm not a vegetarian, but maybe I'm a bit too urban for that
                          > kind of
                          >> food play to not seem like Frankenstein. I was never raised with
                          > chickens, I
                          >> do eat them though.
                          >
                          > It's a common attitude in our modern world. Mom & dad kept the
                          > chickens which I took care of, along with the pony & goats I had for
                          > pets (and we nearly had goat stew for dinner after one of them
                          > stripped mom's brand new holly bush!) Gramps retired to VT and raised
                          > Black Angus. Most of my friends found it highly disturbing that the
                          > eggs for breakfast came from the backyard, and I knew my burger by
                          > name. I think it's a shame that we sanitize things so much. When
                          > you're that far removed from the process, you can't appreciate what
                          > goes into things.

                          I wouldn't be disturbed by eggs from the backyard, but I admit, yes, I buy
                          my meat products from the grocery store. I had a friend when I was a teen
                          who raised beef cattle--I'll never forget the day when I asked where one of
                          them was, and she pointed to the freezer!

                          I have been known to threaten to make parrot stew, though, when he decides
                          to take a bath and throw dirty water on me while I vacuum around his cage.

                          Laurensa