Re: Help with early 15th c. clothing

  • Catelli, Ann
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
      > From: "llewin@..." llewin@...
      > Date: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:45pm(PDT)
      > Subject: Re: Help with early 15th c. clothing
      >

      > I will research the name of the good Dame you mentioned. I
      > have simply found it moderately frustrating that I only seem
      > to be able to find information about the end of the 14th
      > century and the last half of the 15th century but narry a
      > thing in between.
      >
      > I have to assume that it there was a slow and steady change
      > from the traditional cote to the doublet for men and women i
      > suppose from a buttoned cote to something with laces and
      > eventually the traditional "Burgundian" style...
      >

      > Llewin de Wales

      Try looking up things like the Black Death, like the Limbourg brothers, like Christine de Pisan.

      The late fourteenth/early fifteenth century was a great age of illuminations, some of which can be used to further clothing research.

      The Tres Riches Heures, the Tres Grandes Heures, the Tres Belles Heures, are just a few of the books of hours from that time.

      Men commonly wore a shirt, some sort of underpants, some sort of hosen--this is towards the end of the transition from separate legged hose to joined hosen, so probably joined--a doublet/pourpoint layer which held up the hosen; quite likely an overgarment--regular cotte, cotehardie, houppelande, gown, etc. Also something on the head--coif, hood, hat. And feet are shod.

      The cote[hardie] may be laced or buttoned; the houpe is biggest and richest and may have buttons or invisible fastenings; what I'm calling the gown is like a skimpy houppe, and may also be buttoned or fastened invisibly.

      The Burgundian male fashion with big square shoulders and puffed sleeve caps narrowing down to a slim waist & hips seems to have descended from both the cote and the houppelande.

      The pourpoint may be laced or tied with several separate points--I'm running on memory here, though, as I haven't had a gentleman to dress in this period.

      If separate points, they often connect in pairs of eyelet holes, and the two ends are worked as one into what looks like a slipknot or the ends are separate & tied together in a single-looped bow knot (like your shoes with one end pulled through).

      Is this what you were looking for?

      Ann in CT