Help with early 15th c. clothing

  • Kristen Dahle
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22 11:07 AM
      Greetings, Llewin. Where in An Tir are you located, and do you plan to attend 40 Year? Although most of the research I've done has been for women in the early 1400's, I certainly have lots of artwork of men from the same time. There are also many talented men and women in An Tir recreating the late 1300's and early 1400's.

      Dame Cynthia Virtue has quite a website on clothing from the first half of the 1400's. Google her name, and you'll get to her site.

      Pax,
      Elisa

      Maitresse Elisabeth de Besancon
      Minister of Arts and Sciences, Barony of Glymm Mere

    • llewin@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24 11:10 AM
        Greetings Elisa,

        My lady-wife and I live in northern Blatha an Oir currently and play both with BOA and the Shire of Wyewood, our northern neighbor. Alas, we will not be able to attend 40 year. It breaks my heart to say so, but it is true.

        I will research the name of the good Dame you mentioned. I have simply found it moderately frustrating that I only seem to be able to find information about the end of the 14th century and the last half of the 15th century but narry a thing in between.

        I have to assume that it there was a slow and steady change from the traditional cote to the doublet for men and women i suppose from a buttoned cote to something with laces and eventually the traditional "Burgundian" style...

        Where in An Tir do you live, m'lady?

        --
        Yours In Service to the Dream,

        Llewin de Wales

        http://www.sca.org/

        > From: "Kristen Dahle" kjdahle@...
        > Date: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:49am(PDT)
        > Subject: Help with early 15th c. clothing
        >
        > Greetings, Llewin. Where in An Tir are you located, and do you plan to attend
        > 40 Year? Although most of the research I've done has been for women in the
        > early 1400's, I certainly have lots of artwork of men from the same time. There
        > are also many talented men and women in An Tir recreating the late 1300's and
        > early 1400's.
        >
        > Dame Cynthia Virtue has quite a website on clothing from the first half of the
        > 1400's. Google her name, and you'll get to her site.
        >
        > Pax,
        > Elisa
        >
        > Maitresse Elisabeth de Besancon
        > Minister of Arts and Sciences, Barony of Glymm Mere

      • Catelli, Ann
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26 11:51 AM
          > From: "llewin@..." llewin@...
          > Date: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:45pm(PDT)
          > Subject: Re: Help with early 15th c. clothing
          >

          > I will research the name of the good Dame you mentioned. I
          > have simply found it moderately frustrating that I only seem
          > to be able to find information about the end of the 14th
          > century and the last half of the 15th century but narry a
          > thing in between.
          >
          > I have to assume that it there was a slow and steady change
          > from the traditional cote to the doublet for men and women i
          > suppose from a buttoned cote to something with laces and
          > eventually the traditional "Burgundian" style...
          >

          > Llewin de Wales

          Try looking up things like the Black Death, like the Limbourg brothers, like Christine de Pisan.

          The late fourteenth/early fifteenth century was a great age of illuminations, some of which can be used to further clothing research.

          The Tres Riches Heures, the Tres Grandes Heures, the Tres Belles Heures, are just a few of the books of hours from that time.

          Men commonly wore a shirt, some sort of underpants, some sort of hosen--this is towards the end of the transition from separate legged hose to joined hosen, so probably joined--a doublet/pourpoint layer which held up the hosen; quite likely an overgarment--regular cotte, cotehardie, houppelande, gown, etc. Also something on the head--coif, hood, hat. And feet are shod.

          The cote[hardie] may be laced or buttoned; the houpe is biggest and richest and may have buttons or invisible fastenings; what I'm calling the gown is like a skimpy houppe, and may also be buttoned or fastened invisibly.

          The Burgundian male fashion with big square shoulders and puffed sleeve caps narrowing down to a slim waist & hips seems to have descended from both the cote and the houppelande.

          The pourpoint may be laced or tied with several separate points--I'm running on memory here, though, as I haven't had a gentleman to dress in this period.

          If separate points, they often connect in pairs of eyelet holes, and the two ends are worked as one into what looks like a slipknot or the ends are separate & tied together in a single-looped bow knot (like your shoes with one end pulled through).

          Is this what you were looking for?

          Ann in CT