Greetings once again. Some help would be most greatly appreciated!

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2006
      I have posted here on rare occasion. I am changing my time period
      focus by somewhere in the ballpark of 100 years though and would
      really appreciate some online resources or just written help. My new
      focus is Wales/England/Western Europe during the first quarter of the
      15th century (something like 1420 to 1430). I know that burgundian
      fashion was beginning to influence western europe by this time but
      hadnt really taken over. The information I've been able to find
      indicates that some version of a houpelande would still be the
      traditional outergarment for most of europe during this time but I am
      stumped on general trends in length. Also I cant seem to find a lot
      of information on what ELSE people wore... like...what goes under the
      bloody houpe! I found an interesting reference to a transitionary
      garment called a haque which seems like an opensided houpelande from
      the description I found but any and all searches for the word through
      google came up empty handed.

      Any help anyone can offer on this time period would be really appreciated.

      Thank you!

      YIS,

      Llewin de Wales who finds himself in the strange kingdom of An Tir and
      far from his family and the rebellion of his people against English
      oppression.
    • Giovanna d'Este
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2006
        > From: "Joel" llewin@...
        > Date: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:53am(PDT)
        >Subject: Greetings once again. Some help would be most greatly appreciated!
        >
        >Also I cant seem to find a lot
        >of information on what ELSE people wore... like...what goes under the
        >bloody houpe!

        Well, I put my lord husband in a collarless linen shirt under a tunic and
        hosen, and then his short houppelande over that. He occasionally omits the
        tunic and just wears it over his shirt if he is feeling the heat.

        Me, I wear a Gothic Fitted Dress underneath my full length houppe. It
        provides my bust support (and I am generously endowed) and more is achieved
        by belting the wide belt that is part of feminine dress quite tightly under
        the bustline.

        I hope that helps.

        Signora Giovanna d'Este