Re: [Authentic_SCA] take-up for fingerloop braiding?

  • Margaret N
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006
      Michelle -TJ- King wrote:

      > Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
      > tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
      > find some information about how much take-up I should
      > expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
      > in length, how short should I expect the finished
      > braid to be?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Violante
      > http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm

      My understanding, and my experience seems to bear this out, is that you
      want to have three times the amount that you with to end up with. So
      that meter would make about 33 cm of fingerloop braiding, give or take
      for various factors.

      Margaret Northwode
    • Tiffany Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006
        Note: I'm talking about how long half the loop (ie how far you will be
        from the tie off point) needs to be here.

        I've been meaning to measure this more, but I've only written down one
        measurement - with some thinish homespun wool 22% shrinkage

        I braid quite tightly, and still find the takeup is not that great -
        I'd leave maybe a third extra for shrinkage and ends, a bit more for
        your first few braids (better safe than sorry, and you tend to tangle
        the ends more at first).

        So if your loop was 1m long (1m from base to where it loops), I'd
        expect around 70cm of braid. Mind you, I don't reccomend working with
        such long warps when you are beginning - makes it much trickier to get
        the tension even. The fingerloop braiding CA (www.fingerloop.org) has
        a few tricks for making longer pieces.

        Teffania

        On 4/4/06, Margaret N <margaretnorthwode@...> wrote:
        > Michelle -TJ- King wrote:
        >
        > > Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
        > > tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
        > > find some information about how much take-up I should
        > > expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
        > > in length, how short should I expect the finished
        > > braid to be?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Violante
        > > http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm
        > >
        > My understanding, and my experience seems to bear this out, is that you
        > want to have three times the amount that you with to end up with. So
        > that meter would make about 33 cm of fingerloop braiding, give or take
        > for various factors.
        >
        > Margaret Northwode

      • Zenovia Kallipygia
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
          First, an answer to a question you didn't ask. I would start with
          threads that are roughly half your armspan in length. If I'm doing a
          5-loop braid, I measure off one length roughly equivalent to the
          distance from fingertip to fingertip (on me, about 160 cm), then using
          that as a guide, lay out another 4 lengths. Take the two ends, bring
          them together, and knot.

          This length ensures that you can tighten the weave as you go simply by
          pulling your hands apart. If doubled length of an individual loop is
          more than your armspan, you'll have to enlist your feet or a friend to
          tighten.

          My loops are about 80 cm starting out, and end up in the neighbourhood
          of 40 cm finished.

          Zenovia

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michelle -TJ- King
          <dona_violante@...> wrote:

          > Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
          > tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
          > find some information about how much take-up I should
          > expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
          > in length, how short should I expect the finished
          > braid to be?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Violante
          > http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm
        • Diane Thompson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
            http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/t/Tristan-amp-Isolde/index-51185.html
            question...does anyone remember or have a copy of an older 70's version with Richard Burton and Kate Mulgrew..it was a BBC production...I lost mine in the fire....would possibly like to borrow for costume reference..there was one I remember ..I think it was in this version