take-up for fingerloop braiding?

  • Michelle -TJ- King
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 2:32 PM
      Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
      tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
      find some information about how much take-up I should
      expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
      in length, how short should I expect the finished
      braid to be?

      Thanks!
      Violante
      http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Margaret N
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3 2:33 PM
        Michelle -TJ- King wrote:

        > Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
        > tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
        > find some information about how much take-up I should
        > expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
        > in length, how short should I expect the finished
        > braid to be?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Violante
        > http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm

        My understanding, and my experience seems to bear this out, is that you
        want to have three times the amount that you with to end up with. So
        that meter would make about 33 cm of fingerloop braiding, give or take
        for various factors.

        Margaret Northwode
      • Tiffany Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3 8:34 PM
          Note: I'm talking about how long half the loop (ie how far you will be
          from the tie off point) needs to be here.

          I've been meaning to measure this more, but I've only written down one
          measurement - with some thinish homespun wool 22% shrinkage

          I braid quite tightly, and still find the takeup is not that great -
          I'd leave maybe a third extra for shrinkage and ends, a bit more for
          your first few braids (better safe than sorry, and you tend to tangle
          the ends more at first).

          So if your loop was 1m long (1m from base to where it loops), I'd
          expect around 70cm of braid. Mind you, I don't reccomend working with
          such long warps when you are beginning - makes it much trickier to get
          the tension even. The fingerloop braiding CA (www.fingerloop.org) has
          a few tricks for making longer pieces.

          Teffania

          On 4/4/06, Margaret N <margaretnorthwode@...> wrote:
          > Michelle -TJ- King wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
          > > tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
          > > find some information about how much take-up I should
          > > expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
          > > in length, how short should I expect the finished
          > > braid to be?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Violante
          > > http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm
          > >
          > My understanding, and my experience seems to bear this out, is that you
          > want to have three times the amount that you with to end up with. So
          > that meter would make about 33 cm of fingerloop braiding, give or take
          > for various factors.
          >
          > Margaret Northwode

        • Zenovia Kallipygia
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6 12:13 PM
            First, an answer to a question you didn't ask. I would start with
            threads that are roughly half your armspan in length. If I'm doing a
            5-loop braid, I measure off one length roughly equivalent to the
            distance from fingertip to fingertip (on me, about 160 cm), then using
            that as a guide, lay out another 4 lengths. Take the two ends, bring
            them together, and knot.

            This length ensures that you can tighten the weave as you go simply by
            pulling your hands apart. If doubled length of an individual loop is
            more than your armspan, you'll have to enlist your feet or a friend to
            tighten.

            My loops are about 80 cm starting out, and end up in the neighbourhood
            of 40 cm finished.

            Zenovia

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michelle -TJ- King
            <dona_violante@...> wrote:

            > Greetings, all! I've just boldly forayed into the
            > tangled world of fingerloop braiding. I'm trying to
            > find some information about how much take-up I should
            > expect, i.e., if I start with loops which are 1 meter
            > in length, how short should I expect the finished
            > braid to be?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Violante
            > http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm
          • Diane Thompson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6 12:28 PM
              http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/t/Tristan-amp-Isolde/index-51185.html
              question...does anyone remember or have a copy of an older 70's version with Richard Burton and Kate Mulgrew..it was a BBC production...I lost mine in the fire....would possibly like to borrow for costume reference..there was one I remember ..I think it was in this version