List ettiquette

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2006
      Not to be heavy handed but here's the scoop on this list and its
      etiquette:

      Here are items that have been considered proper etiquette on this
      list for the past 5 years.

      This list has 4 moderators at the present time so decisions made on
      items of list etiquette are not dictated by a single person and there
      have been times when one moderator was out-voted by others on a point
      of list etiquette.

      The fact is, this list is run by people who work very hard to keep
      spam and spammers away from it. Every moderator remembers when this
      list had less than 50 people on it and certain things that have been
      decided as proper for this list were done at the time this list was
      begun, or became list policy within a year or two of its formation.
      So yes, I'm pulling the 'old farts on the list' card on this one.

      The way this list is currently set up is that everyone who subscribes
      is put on moderated status until such time as they post a fair number
      (3 or so) of items that are relevant to the group and the topic. We
      aren't always good about taking people off of moderated status once
      they have done said postings because we're people and we have lives.
      This flaw has been a help on occasion, when a member in good standing
      either top-posts with an entire digest dangling under their post, or
      posts a message as the subject line (both have happened more than
      once and been caught and chopped by moderators before the post went
      to the group).

      A multitude of times, the moderators have been thanked on this list
      because it does not contain the spam and crap that is often found on
      other yahoo groups, so it appears, through the time line, that the
      moderation that is done is appreciated by the larger population of
      this list.

      These things will not change:
      1. Please delete the previous message before sending your message -
      in other words, DO NOT TOP- POST (which is posting your message on
      top of the previous post and sending it). This may have become
      a 'regular' practice on various formats over the years, but it is
      *not* an acceptable practice on this list. Consistently doing this
      can get one placed on moderated status and the moderators will clip
      your posts for you - which makes more work for us and causes us to be
      cranky.

      2. It is acceptable to intersperse your comments with the post to
      which you are responding. If a paragraph of the post to which you are
      responding has nothing you wish to address, then delete it before
      sending your response.

      3. People who enter this list do so on moderated status and remain
      there until they have posted to the group on relevant topics at least
      3 times... at that point, they will have moderated status removed
      when the moderators have time to get to it so please bear with us if
      your post is hung up for a few hours, we're not online 24/7

      4. Dialogue on this list is expected to be polite (and it is the most
      polite and well-mannered group I'm on, I must say) and remain
      respectful.

      5. If a member of this list feels that a conversation is getting
      abusive or improper, please privately notify the moderators, who will
      review the conversation and privately email all parties involved as
      to decisions.

      6. Sign your posts - as has been said, there are currently over 1200
      members, we don't know who you are and addressing you by your email
      address is rude

      7. If posting an event, list the kingdom and shire, as well as the
      modern location at the *beginning* of the post. Modern state (and
      where applicable country) should be listed in the header of the
      announcement. Example: subject: Fargo, ND Event to end all Events

      8. If the topic of your post has meandered from the topic being
      discussed, change the subject line to be more appropriate to the
      information contained in your post. It's easy for conversations like
      fulling wool to morph into dying or spinning, when this happens,
      change the subject line from fulling wool to spinning wool.

      If you don't like the rules of the list, then we are sorry to see you
      leave over what has been felt to be basic list etiquette and has been
      appreciated by list members on this list for the past 5 years, but
      this is how it is.

      With respect,
      Despina - one of the moderators
    • aheilvei
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
[...]

        6. Sign your posts - there are currently over 1200 members, we don't
        know who you are and addressing you by your email address is rude

        7. If posting an event, list the kingdom and shire, as well as the
        modern location at the *beginning* of the post. Modern state (and
        where applicable country) should be listed in the header of the
        announcement. Example: subject: Fargo, ND Event to end all Events

        8. If the topic of your post has meandered from the topic being
        discussed, change the subject line to be more appropriate to the
        information contained in your post. It's easy for conversations like
        fulling wool to morph into dying or spinning, when this happens,
        change the subject line from fulling wool to spinning wool. Please
        also be sure to change the subject line if you get the list in digest
        form or no one will know what your subject is...

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
[...]

          address is rude, we prefer not to be rude around here.

          7. If posting an event, list the kingdom and shire, as well as the
          modern location at the *beginning* of the post. Modern state (and
          where applicable, country) should be listed in the header of the
          announcement. Example: subject: Fargo, ND Amazing Event

          8. If the topic of your post has meandered from the topic being
          discussed, change the subject line to be more appropriate to the
          information contained in your post. It's easy for conversations like
          fulling wool to morph into dying or spinning, when this happens,
          change the subject line from fulling wool to spinning wool.

          If you don't like the rules of the list, then we are sorry to see you
          leave over what has been felt to be basic list etiquette and has been
          appreciated by list members on this list for the past 5 years, but
          this is how it is.

          With respect,
          Despina - one of the moderators
        • Amy Heilveil
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2006
            List ettiquette

[...]

            When the moderators add a note to a post it is in all caps - this is not
            to shout, rather it is to set the moderator's comments apart from the post.

[...]

            9. Don't just hit 'reply' to the list if you're posting on a new topic.
            Rather, begin a new subject or at least change the subject before posting.

            If you don't like the rules of the list, then we are sorry to see you
            leave over what has been felt to be basic list etiquette and has been
            appreciated by list members on this list for the past 5 years, but
            this is how it is.

            With respect,
            Despina one of the moderators

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2006
              My thanks to Lord Olaf for being used to demonstrate posting dos and
              don'ts.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
              Moderator, Pacific Time Zone
            • aheilvei
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
                List ettiquette

[...]

                the post. Please feel free to search the archives for previous
                discussions.

[...]

                6. Sign your posts - as has been said, there are currently over 1400